E.on rip off existing customers

Options
I've been with E.on for ever...letter this morning saying my tarif is coming to an end the next best one for me is Go online 1 year v16. I logged into my account and went to best tarif for me was directed to energy safe 5 £300 pa more than the v16.!
I telephoned to be told that the v16 tarif is only available if I go through a comparison web site.
The operater told me all energy companies offer their best tariffs this way and it is the energy company "norm"
I said I wanted to raise a complaint and he came back in minutes saying the complaint was opened and closed as its a business decision.
If your with E.on and want to stay with them go through an energy comparison site to get the best tarif as the company won't offer you the best deal on your personal page.:(

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have not said what you are going to do about it? Have you been online and gone through a comparison site? Have you changed supplier?
    What was the complaint for? Were you after compensation?

They wrote to you to say the tariff was coming to an end and what the next best tariff was. How is their action ripping you off? Would you have preferred if they had not told you?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• GeeTee99
    GeeTee99 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently leaving E-on due to their awful business practices over the years yet when I come on here there are these guys lecturing me and others who have issues with these companies.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2018 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Just get onto Uswitch etc and get switching.Make sure that Uswitch don t trick you into only seeing suppliers who they get commission for. Tick the box which says "show all suppliers "
    There you will see dozens of small suppliers you have never heard of but will be cheaper than Eon.
    The only reason to stay with Eon or any of the established suppliers is if you qualify for the £140 Warm Home Discount
    IMO Eon are better run than Npower, Scot Power and are very reliable, similar to EDF. They answer the phone quickly if needed unlike the cheapies who don t employ many people manning the phones. They also spend money on a meter reading team and read twice yearly if needed
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6poly6 wrote: »
    I've been with E.on for ever...letter this morning saying my tarif is coming to an end the next best one for me is Go online 1 year v16. I logged into my account and went to best tarif for me was directed to energy safe 5 £300 pa more than the v16.!
    I telephoned to be told that the v16 tarif is only available if I go through a comparison web site.
    The operater told me all energy companies offer their best tariffs this way and it is the energy company "norm"
    I said I wanted to raise a complaint and he came back in minutes saying the complaint was opened and closed as its a business decision.
    If your with E.on and want to stay with them go through an energy comparison site to get the best tarif as the company won't offer you the best deal on your personal page.:(

Hello 6poly6 and welcome to the Forums.

Just thought I'd confirm our advisor's explanation. Recent Go Online tariffs including version 16 have only been available through certain independent Price Comparison sites.

Following customer feedback, we've added a message to the first page of renewal letters and to the top of renewal emails making it clear where this is the case. We started doing this from the 8 August 18 and I suspect this was too late for your renewal.

Sorry if it wasn't clear on your letter 6poly6 and thank you for your custom over the years.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Rip off, no chance.

When I left EON in January this year, I was only 7 months into my 12 month contract, with a £30 exit fee. Utility Point, who I moved to, were £70 cheaper than my current EON price. So, I decided to swap my EON tariff to their SVT, which added an extra £10 onto my final month. Still cheaper than paying exit fee.

When I received my final EON bill, they had kept me on my original tariff and not charged me an exit fee.

I only left EON due to the price difference and they far from ripped me off.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Many companies operate this way, making money from people who don't have internet access or who are too lazy or ill informed to shop around. No point griping about it, that's just the way it is.

I don't trust price comparison sites either. Always use at least three.

For energy comparisons, I use https://switch.which.co.uk which if operated bybt he Consumers Association
  • Beartricks
    Beartricks Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GeeTee99 wrote: »
    I'm currently leaving E-on due to their awful business practices over the years yet when I come on here there are these guys lecturing me and others who have issues with these companies.

Because some people have genuinely awful experiences with companies like EOn, and some have no issues.

And some people seem to enjoy either playing devil's advocate or trying to act like a know it all.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rip off, no chance.

When I left EON in January this year, I was only 7 months into my 12 month contract, with a £30 exit fee. Utility Point, who I moved to, were £70 cheaper than my current EON price. So, I decided to swap my EON tariff to their SVT, which added an extra £10 onto my final month. Still cheaper than paying exit fee.

When I received my final EON bill, they had kept me on my original tariff and not charged me an exit fee.

I only left EON due to the price difference and they far from ripped me off.

Sorry to lose you PennineAcute but glad the switch went smoothly.

It sounds like you were in the Price Protection window although this is open 49 calendar days before a fixed deal ends until 20 working days after. Customers changing supplier during this window don't receive exit fees and stay on the cheaper prices whilst the switch goes through. Not sure why it would've kicked in with 5 months left to run on the contract. Not to worry, it sounds like it worked out to your benefit.

Sorry again to lose you PennineAcute.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    6poly6 wrote: »
    Hi 6poly6
    Hope this link helps more ? :beer:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74676465#post74676465
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    E.on have plenty of form for this. I was with them for a while but when the time came to renew they refused to offer their best tariff to existing customers. This sort of practice leaves a bad taste...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure