Smart Meters - not now

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I was considering requesting a Smart Meter - but have decided against it - after watching this youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32NYQpvy8Q
I was not aware that there would be different(increased) rates for peak times of day etc.....

Safety concerns, hacking concerns, privacy issues, increased costs, data issues, profits for the energy companies - there's no upside to smartmeters.

Comments

• JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I was not aware that there would be different(increased) rates for peak times of day etc.....

I am not aware that any energy company has said they intend to apply different costings for peak times. That's not to say it couldn't happen of course.

I'll not be having a smart meter until SMETS2 (or later) become the only type fitted. I might not bother even then.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    there's no upside to smartmeters.
    I've got one - you don't have to get out of your chair.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why on earth would anyone take any notice of such a character as "bigclive " He s no expert on smart meters. His stock in trade is to rip electronic components apart and have a guess at their components and what they are designed to do. He makes a few quid on Youtube and has quite a following..
    Pity he chose , in that particular video , to inform potential smart meter bypassers just how to defeat them and stop them sending remote readings off. I complained to Youtube about this video and he did make another one and modified it a little.. I see he has still blacked off all the serial numbers on the meter which would have revealed the address the meter was formerly installed at
    Even if energy suppliers implemented dual rate billing , savvy money savers would make it pay I m sure.
    We have had dual rate high/low billing now for decades in the UK anyway in the form of Eco 7 meters..No ones complaining about them and most people love them
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They have the ability to switch between different rates are different times of day, but if your law abiding contract states that your tariff has one rate, then it wont change.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 January 2019 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    I complained to Youtube about this video
    What on earth for? If there are vulnerabilities in smart meters then people need to be informed before they have a smart meter installed. It's not bigclive's fault that these meters were designed with scant regard for security. I'm sure you'd feel right at home in China or North Korea.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    in the future the latest meters can or will be set for duel (or peak) rate , ie 7am till 9am and say 4pm and 6pm , at present the newer meter can be told to stop your supply , as indeed mentioned on a recent posting from I think spain where they were using (and paying) excessive usage

there are no drawbacks for average user that can read and submit a reading ,
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    What on earth for? If there are vulnerabilities in smart meters then people need to be informed before they have a smart meter installed. It's not bigclive's fault that these meters were designed with scant regard for security. I'm sure you'd feel right at home in China or North Korea.
    I work for British Gas and I know it is extremely dangerous to be entering the insides of any electric meter which contains lethal voltages as they all do when connected to the mains.
    .Many people have lost their lives attempting it . Bigclive has a meter on the bench.The people who will be trying to bypass electricity will be doing it with the meter active and connected to the mains
    There are no vulnerabilities in modern smart meters.They are much tighter than dumb meters but there has to be a way into them to install them. They have sensors built in at both the bottom cable fixing area and the the modem at the top. Anyone clipping the metal seals and entering the meter would be on record of the time and date and address of the meter.The problem is that nearly all the suppliers are substandard at Revenue Protection and would fail to take any action..A bit like our modern Police forces
    .Bypassing electric meters is extremely common. Smart meters have many defences to stop that, but "bigclive " on Youtube go s and informs the potential bypassers just what they can do to defeat a modern smart meter.
    Personally I think "bigclive " should be prosecuted for his video and it removed from the rogue website Youtube/google .
    Someone may die this year following "bigclives " video on the insides of a smart meter in an attempt to get free electricity.
  • thorganby
    Options
    Why on earth would anyone take any notice of such a character as "bigclive " He s no expert on smart meters............................................

Why on earth would anyone take any notice of such a character as "houbara" He's no expert on smart meters as he regularly demonstrates here on MSE.

For example in his previous post only yesterday:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75335493
    There is a small lithium back up battery in the smart electric meters to protect the modem data but I m not sure if smart gas has one..

This is rubbish. Battery back up is not required to retain any data in either the electric or gas meter, as it is securely stored in NVRAM - Non Volatile Random Access Memory. The battery is to keep the RTC running in the event of a power interruption, to maintain date and time info and this has been the case for decades, long before smart meters were available.
    Why you should avoid making assumptions
    They’re an easy out. The path of least resistance is also the path of least growth.
    They stop you from taking responsibility for your life. Assumptions allow you to hide behind your version of the story. This means you don’t own your part in the true story. You prefer to blame others for your misfortune, rather than look in the mirror.
    They keep you stuck in the past. Assumptions rely on old information to fill in blanks and connect dots. Instead of expanding your horizons, you retreat into the past. Into your painful past.
    It’s lazy behaviour. Instead of asking questions to get the information you need, you jump to conclusions.
    They foster a negative mindset. Most assumptions are derived from old, painful information. This reinforces your innate negativity bias that dates back to prehistoric times. And keeps you thinking the world is a fundamentally hostile place.
    It’s toxic behaviour. To protect yourself from more hurt, you use your assumptions to lash out at others. This is bad for them, and you.
    They become a bad habit. The more you make assumptions, the easier it is to continue making them. You find it easier to relive past hurts to get missing information than to ask questions. Go figure!
    They deepen your pain. The more you pick at a sore, the more painful it gets. And it doesn’t get a chance to heal.
    Assumptions are ALWAYS wrong.

Posting incorrect information on the forum helps nobody.

If he is honest, houbara actually learned things from watching Big Clive's informative, educational, factual video that he did not know before.

I work for British Gas and I know it is extremely dangerous to be entering the insides of any electric meter which contains lethal voltages as they all do when connected to the mains.
    .Many people have lost their lives attempting it . Bigclive has a meter on the bench.The people who will be trying to bypass electricity will be doing it with the meter active and connected to the mains
    There are no vulnerabilities in modern smart meters.They are much tighter than dumb meters but there has to be a way into them to install them. They have sensors built in at both the bottom cable fixing area and the the modem at the top. Anyone clipping the metal seals and entering the meter would be on record of the time and date and address of the meter.The problem is that nearly all the suppliers are substandard at Revenue Protection and would fail to take any action..A bit like our modern Police forces
    .Bypassing electric meters is extremely common. Smart meters have many defences to stop that, but "bigclive " on Youtube go s and informs the potential bypassers just what they can do to defeat a modern smart meter.
    Personally I think "bigclive " should be prosecuted for his video and it removed from the rogue website Youtube/google .
    Someone may die this year following "bigclives " video on the insides of a smart meter in an attempt to get free electricity.

"Many people have lost their lives attempting it" - really!

If meter bypassing is as extremely common as you state that it is, then why have we not heard about these many deaths occurring every week?

Only someone who carries such a big chip on their shoulders about meter fiddlers would state that Big Clive should be prosecuted for his harmless, educational tear down video which has had approaching half a million views since 26 October 2018!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MeterMan wrote: »
    They have the ability to switch between different rates are different times of day, but if your law abiding contract states that your tariff has one rate, then it wont change.

But how many contracts last for more than a couple of years ?
    I am on a fixed price for 2 years and after that - I am at the whim of the supplier
    Yes I could change suppliers - but how long before that supplier goes down the same route ?
    If they can change tarrifs to dual rate - They WILL - You can guarantee that ...(anything to charge us more and reclaim their costs to "upgrade" to smart meters)
    For that reason - I will never accept a smart meter in my home
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 2:01PM
    Options
    thorganby wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone take any notice of such a character as "houbara" He's no expert on smart meters as he regularly demonstrates here on MSE.

For example in his previous post only yesterday:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75335493

This is rubbish. Battery back up is not required to retain any data in either the electric or gas meter, as it is securely stored in NVRAM - Non Volatile Random Access Memory. The battery is to keep the RTC running in the event of a power interruption, to maintain date and time info and this has been the case for decades, long before smart meters were available.

Posting incorrect information on the forum helps nobody.

If he is honest, houbara actually learned things from watching Big Clive's informative, educational, factual video that he did not know before.

"Many people have lost their lives attempting it" - really!

If meter bypassing is as extremely common as you state that it is, then why have we not heard about these many deaths occurring every week?

Only someone who carries such a big chip on their shoulders about meter fiddlers would state that Big Clive should be prosecuted for his harmless, educational tear down video which has had approaching half a million views since 26 October 2018!
    https://www.propertyreporter.co.uk/household/tampered-energy-meters-putting-3m-households-at-risk-claims-new-research.html
    Yeah really !I have nt got a chip on my shoulder about meter tampering but i do like to inform and educate ( because the suppliers certainly won`t ) about the vast levels of tampering going off now in the UK with both gas and electricty tampers.As I have reported on here many times and will continue to do so, the best indicator of the levels are on public record.
    This is when BG Revenue Protection Unit examined 20 random properties in Dundas Rd Sheffield along with the Police in tow after a severe gas explosion in 2014..They found hard evidence of 7 out of the 20 houses bypassing meters. This shocked the hard bitten BG RPU of the extent of meter bypassing in the UK.. That is in just one terraced street in Sheffield.. I find the same levels of bypassing in certain streets in my home town of Doncaster..Indeed we have been told to visit certain areas in pairs on meter reading duties in some parts of Doncaster.
    .Make of that as you will but don`t try and tell me "bigclive" is doing a harmless teardown on a smart meter. He actually removes the lower cover showing the 4 terminations where the people who easily tamper a prepay key meter will be very familiar with and will be able to replicate what they do with their electric key meters .. Not harmless at all..all lethal voltages ..Electric prepay key meter is easily the most bypassed meter in the UK.. I d guess at 9 out 10 of the meters I find bypassed are electric key meters.when these are replaced by smart prepay meters then "bigclive " has just given potential instructions in how to continue bypassing once their incredibly easy to fiddle dumb prepay electric meter is forcibly replaced by a smart meter.
    I m a bit of fan of "bigclive " but in this video he s out of his depth and should remove it. He won t allow comments on his videos, at least I can t find a way to comment , so I have no way of asking him to withdraw it.

thorganby if you do not believe me why people get killed messing with electric meters pm me with an email address and I will send you a few photos of the appalling electric meter bypasses I find including one whos used a long piece of BARE copper wire as a link wire which is open to touch at ground level..not uncommon neither..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure