Santander Gold Debit Cards

Options

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very interesting so they are moving some of the 123 Select Gold card holders to a bog standard 123 with red card and others to their Select account with black card.

As someone that only ended up with the red card that makes it clear how they feel about me!!

Thanks for the info.

Alex
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are these individually tailored letters? Or is there assumptions by the OP that are not stated in the letter?

My letter does say the Gold Visa DC is no longer available. It says when it comes to renewal it'll be replaced with a Santander Select Debit Card.

It doesn't say what colour although I believe it maybe black.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Are these individually tailored letters? Or is there assumptions by the OP that are not stated in the letter?

My letter does say the Gold Visa DC is no longer available. It says when it comes to renewal it'll be replaced with a Santander Select Debit Card.

Their seem to be different letters, EssexExile's letter describes a reductions in benefits, while yours and mine mentions the minor added benefits that come with the newer Santander Select Account.
  • Alexland
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »

It doesn't say what colour although I believe it maybe black.

My letter specificly says I will be getting a red card several times and included the T&C's of the bog standard 123 account. Although it's not our payroll account I just checked the last 4 quarterly statements and we have cycled around £80k into the account (almost entirely from external sources) with no period less than £15k. Maybe they are being very particular that each month should be at least £5k? Or maybe even per person?

Anyway it was the final push I needed to downgrade to Lite as the extra interest hasn't been covering the £4 extra fee recently.

Alex
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been missing out on the Select party. But not missing much!

i could never understand how a 123 account with £20K in it provided a red card! Answer, because there is a higher account
  • rodathomeuk
    Options
    With this letter, Select is now dead.

Firstly, they've removed the benefit from Santander Mortgage holders.

The only conditions to get a Select account are now - £5000 per month in salary to be paid in (it was £1000), OR £75K of savings/investments.

£5000 per month should you be lucky enough to earn this much, after tax, NI and average pension contributions equates to over £130,000.

As the Government savings protection scheme is capped at £85K and if you had this much at the beginning of October in a stocks and shares ISA, it will now be worth less than £75K, the number of people who can qualify for this account is now less than 1% of the population, in other words, they don't want our business, and they've hidden these changes in a letter ostensibly about a change of debit card provider.

Very underhand and dishonest. I will consider closing my account if the 123 Lite is not the best going forwards (the cashback is still good), and the mortgage is too much hassle to switch, but I'll move my ISAs elsewhere. They no longer are deserving of my business or my loyalty
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ...and they've hidden these changes in a letter ostensibly about a change of debit card provider.

There was no mention of the change of provider in my letter.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh no - not a boring red card?

However will you buy your morning coffee at Starbucks without a smug look on your face now!? ;)
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No mention of provider change to me either - the Select Debit Card I have in Black is also a VISA Debit like before !

The Select Debit Cards in Spain and South America are all Mastercard Debit though so possibly some truth in that as well !
    Thanks
    JG
  • Alexland
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    However will you buy your morning coffee at Starbucks without a smug look on your face now!? ;)

I usually use a credit card so it's probably just the cash machine that will know my deep shame following the downgrade.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport