PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

ring fenced farm

Options
What does ring fenced farm, land, pasture mean?
Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on the context!

Please expand your question.

(googled? eg here )
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It simply means there's a fence around the perimeter of the farm's land which ought to be stock proof. It doesn't mean that it is though!

Estate agents use the term. They didn't use it on my property because there was no fence there, so I couldn't have moved here with animals like sheep in tow.

I don't think Googling worked too well for GM this time!
  • ZZaffy
    ZZaffy Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Dave. I am looking for land to put horses on and saw on several occasions the term ring fenced. I figured, it was a literal term, as you say, but when I searched online, websites kept coming up with banking references and I wondered if it were some sort of agricultural allowance/policy.
    I often get confused these days. It all started with Blackberry, when it stopped being fruit and became a computer. Seldom are words nowadays what they once were.
  • ZZaffy
    edited 12 October 2018 at 10:55AM
    Options
    G_M.
    As seen on land or farms for sale. Details sometimes say ring fenced.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ZZaffy wrote: »
    Thanks Dave. I am looking for land to put horses on and saw on several occasions the term ring fenced .
    The only thing I can think to add is that fences for sheep may need some adaptation for horses; the typical two strands of barbed wire being undesirable.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    well I didn't spend more than 10 seconds on google as it seemed like something the OP could do himself.......!!!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ring-fenced could simply mean that the land is solely allocated for that purpose, rather than having a physical meaning?
  • ZZaffy
    Options
    Yes, G_M thank you. It did not take me long to find ring fenced too but internet came up with two types of ring fencing. That was my confusion. Ring fencing as in literally a fence. But there were also references to ring fencing in banking. Farmland language is new to me and I am trying to get my head around, development uplift clauses, sporting rights, mineral rights, basic payment schemes, stewardship scheme etc. Just wondered if the referred ring fence was financial or a fence. I am sorry if my post annoyed you.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, G_M is one of our most useful contributors, just sometimes nursey misses out his gin or tablets, or she's wearing stockings, and then he gets a bit... playful. Give him the Saga magazine and turn on Countdown (LOUDLY) and he will be back this evening to his normal self.

I have a "hobby" farm. I have no better guess than any of the above. It could mean the physical fence, it could means the land use is fixed and unchangeable, or it could be some abstract, obtuse definition we haven't thought of ...

Where are we talking of; might be a more local term!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,663 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DoaM has probably given the correct answer in this case.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure