New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

ring fenced farm

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
17 replies 1.8K views
ZZaffyZZaffy Forumite
103 posts
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
What does ring fenced farm, land, pasture mean?
Thanks

Replies

• G_MG_M PPR Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the context!

Please expand your question.

(googled? eg here )
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It simply means there's a fence around the perimeter of the farm's land which ought to be stock proof. It doesn't mean that it is though!

Estate agents use the term. They didn't use it on my property because there was no fence there, so I couldn't have moved here with animals like sheep in tow.

I don't think Googling worked too well for GM this time!
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Stay Aloof....Confuse the Public....Risk Lives.
  • ZZaffyZZaffy Forumite
    103 posts
    10 Posts
    Thanks Dave. I am looking for land to put horses on and saw on several occasions the term ring fenced. I figured, it was a literal term, as you say, but when I searched online, websites kept coming up with banking references and I wondered if it were some sort of agricultural allowance/policy.
    I often get confused these days. It all started with Blackberry, when it stopped being fruit and became a computer. Seldom are words nowadays what they once were.
  • edited 12 October 2018 at 10:55AM
    ZZaffyZZaffy Forumite
    103 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 12 October 2018 at 10:55AM
    G_M.
    As seen on land or farms for sale. Details sometimes say ring fenced.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZZaffy wrote: »
    Thanks Dave. I am looking for land to put horses on and saw on several occasions the term ring fenced .
    The only thing I can think to add is that fences for sheep may need some adaptation for horses; the typical two strands of barbed wire being undesirable.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Stay Aloof....Confuse the Public....Risk Lives.
  • G_MG_M PPR Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    well I didn't spend more than 10 seconds on google as it seemed like something the OP could do himself.......!!!
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ring-fenced could simply mean that the land is solely allocated for that purpose, rather than having a physical meaning?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • ZZaffyZZaffy Forumite
    103 posts
    10 Posts
    Yes, G_M thank you. It did not take me long to find ring fenced too but internet came up with two types of ring fencing. That was my confusion. Ring fencing as in literally a fence. But there were also references to ring fencing in banking. Farmland language is new to me and I am trying to get my head around, development uplift clauses, sporting rights, mineral rights, basic payment schemes, stewardship scheme etc. Just wondered if the referred ring fence was financial or a fence. I am sorry if my post annoyed you.
  • DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, G_M is one of our most useful contributors, just sometimes nursey misses out his gin or tablets, or she's wearing stockings, and then he gets a bit... playful. Give him the Saga magazine and turn on Countdown (LOUDLY) and he will be back this evening to his normal self.

I have a "hobby" farm. I have no better guess than any of the above. It could mean the physical fence, it could means the land use is fixed and unchangeable, or it could be some abstract, obtuse definition we haven't thought of ...

Where are we talking of; might be a more local term!
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoaM has probably given the correct answer in this case.