Have you ever TOLD people what to buy your kids?

Options

Comments

• cats_whiskers
    Options
    Hi
    Can I just answer this from the other angle - The auntie being told what to buy for nieces and nephews. I welcome this idea as often we do not know what the children have got or what the latest must have is. I often try to ask well in advance of Christmas and ask for a shorlist if possible as I like to be organised and I do have a lot to buy for so like to spread the cost. We also live some distance away and do not have the same shops so finding some of the items can prove more more challenging. However, OH side of the family would not be forthcoming and we would still be without suggestions in December - they are not that organised and thought it was strange that I was asking about Christmas in October. Even if I gave susggestions to them it would be met with mmmmm.......don't know.

With my side of the family it is the norm to ask or be told what the children would like for Christmas. There would normally be a few things suggested and we could agree what we were getting so it could be crossed off the list and no duplicates given.

With regard to asking for money I still find this a difficult one. However, I agree with helping out with school trips. One year we did give the nieces and nephews some Euros to spend on their school skiing holiday which they went on early in the New Year.

So a big WELL DONE to Pablo for being organised and brave enough to let everyone know what to buy i'm sure many relatives would be grateful a similar list.

Cats.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started telling people what my children wanted, even to the point of actually buying it many years ago after binning the latest round of not only useless but unsafe tat.

Everyone is happier to buy something they know is wanted and it saves them trawling the shops for ideas so in my family on both sides, it has gone down well.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Me too

As DS gets older his wants are far more specific and my family hate wasting money so we pass the list around and we all end up happy. I always get him a couple of things as surprises because I kinda think Christmas is about surprises and not just getting what we want - but won't be doing that this year unless I KNOW he will want/use them as these tended to be stuff to please me rather than him and ended up under the bed :o
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• sarahmoon_2
    Options
    I "suggested" to my mum, my brother and his girlfriend that they could club together to buy my daughters a trampoline for their birthday, and it worked out quite well. We all put in £20 and I got a 10ft trampoline in the garden now!!!

My husband's mum and my dad (who lives quite far away) have both said they are just giving us money to buy what the kids like this year. We intend to keep it and let them go mad in the sales on boxing day.
    They took my signature away!!!! :confused:
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have no shame in doing this! I kind of know how much each relative/person spends, but have given up on the in-laws. They are more skint than we are, but instead of saving £10 to buy something the kids want, will spend £10 in Pounland as they truely really believe the kids should have lots of presents.

Most end up in the bin on boxing day because I either feel that frankly its just damn well unsafe or so cheap the bits are already broken. Its such a waste of money, but they have no intention to doing what I ask. There comes a point when you just have to let them waste their time/money.

I did try a list thing a few years ago, but it was at the time my Mum and Dad (who divorced years and years ago) were going through a competitive stage. Therefore, the kids all got the most expensive things on the lists, twice.

Now I specify to each person, who wants what. My Dad is the most easy going person with all this! I find that if I give him a list, part numbers, websties, shops etc, the kids get exactly what they need.

Birthdays however............................. ARGH!!! To everyone!
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I think that is a good idea.

I do an Amazon wishlist for my OH's family in New Zealand, I put 50+ items on it ranging from £3 - £25 and the various family members can choose what they wish to buy, amazon then send the items to our house and I wrap them. This year we have Skype (the video internet telephone thingy) so the inlaws will be able to watch the children opening their gifts "live". (Gone slightly o.t I know!)
  • Revenge_of_the_Red_Devil
    Options
    Nah - I think its a great idea gingin.
    "People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer"
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In our family everyone makes lists (or uses Amazon wishlists). We just put a few things we would like so that we get surprises too (usually with receipts saved just in case!). I'd hate to spend the amount I do on my parents or siblings and it not be things they want - it would just be wasteful.

Mind you I dont go as far as a friend of mine. In her family everyone buys some of their own presents and then in effect 'sells' them to other members of the family who wrap them up and give them back!
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we all club together - us and grown up children - to buy for the littlies in our family. We then have a decent amount £60 approx to spend and its better like that rather than 3 lots of us trying to find something they want for £20 each. We have bought bikes, mini trampolines etc like this.

as an aunty I NEED a list, would much rather buy something they would want, so you don't duplicate on DVD's etc
    Carolbee
  • nais
    nais Posts: 127 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    i think this is a great idea. when my daughter was 3 we got her a big elc dolls house, my mum got her the attic floor, great granny got the basement and other relatives got the different furniture sets. she still plays with ith now 3 years later and still says it was the best present ever and is now being appreciated by my son. much better than the piles of tat the inlaws would buy if left to their own devices!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure