Would you take the risk (Afriqiyah airways)?

Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the safety issues, as someone has helpfully posted Afriqiyah use new aeroplanes and so their equipment is likely to be fine. Does one recent crash mean that they are unsafe? Probably not, unless it reveals something unsafe about the way they operate. And that is the essential point -- the reports that Tripoli airport does not have proper guidance systems, and a 'plane landing at sunrise has to fly into the sun and so there is a risk of the pilot being dazzled, while the pilot's eyes are the main way in which the 'plane is guided on to the runway. If that is still the case, then the safety of this journey is placed in doubt.
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    Flying isn't a problem. Like most modes of transport, it's coming to a sudden stop that spoils your day...

oops-bicycle-crash55555.jpg

What a perfect username! Made me laugh!

I echo all the above, except I would pay £200 more to fly on anyone else except Air France. I can't stand them, or CDG airport, yuk, yuk, yuk. But you may get to fly their A380 which is a perk as it flies on that route.

Are there any other options? Afriqiyah has a good on-board reputation considering they are in essence a 'low cost Libyan airline' - not normally a crowd puller. But i'd hesitate before putting my family on board in light of the recent crash. JNB has a zillion and one airlines flying there - there must be some other options?!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moonchild wrote: »
    What a perfect username! Made me laugh!

I echo all the above, except I would pay £200 more to fly on anyone else except Air France. I can't stand them, or CDG airport, yuk, yuk, yuk. But you may get to fly their A380 which is a perk as it flies on that route.

Are there any other options? Afriqiyah has a good on-board reputation considering they are in essence a 'low cost Libyan airline' - not normally a crowd puller. But i'd hesitate before putting my family on board in light of the recent crash. JNB has a zillion and one airlines flying there - there must be some other options?!

I am actually in Cotonou (Republic of Benin), and my main options seem to be Air France (via the dreadful CDG); Afriqiyah of course; or Royal Air Maroc with an uncomfortably long wait in Casablanca.
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    I am actually in Cotonou (Republic of Benin), and my main options seem to be Air France (via the dreadful CDG); Afriqiyah of course; or Royal Air Maroc with an uncomfortably long wait in Casablanca.

Whoops, sorry, I have no idea where my presumption came from it JNB! Benin looks amazing (well, in terms of different!).

Royal Air Maroc do a 65 minute connection to their Gatwick flight on certain days (Thu & Sat prior to Jul, Tues afterwards - very inconsistent timetabling, but...) - play around with them. Air Arik are ok to the UK, not in reverse (never heard of them though - it's via Lagos!).

Brussels Airways start flying 6th July (not daily), Kenyan Airlines have terrible connections. Erm. Yeh, bit of a rock and hard place thing really. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone who would pay £200 to fly on another airline purely for safety reasons - when both airlines are licensed within the EU is a mug.

As for Air France - Not particularly well known for their safety themselves!
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mr_Lahey wrote: »
    Anyone who would pay £200 to fly on another airline purely for safety reasons - when both airlines are licensed within the EU is a mug.

As for Air France - Not particularly well known for their safety themselves!

Afriqiyah are not licensed in the EU they are licensed in Libya?
  • cactusdust
    cactusdust Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anything could have bought that plane down. I don't think its fair to assume its the airlines fault without first reading the report of any formal investigation. They have a modern fleet and good safety record.

I wouldn't have a problem flying them, but its up to you!
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd probably try to do some research on whether the rising sun is within 5 degrees of the runway direction for my flight. If it is, then being paranoid, I'd elect to fly at another time. Trying to land visually into low sun can be challenging :eek:

On the other hand, we are also entitled to think that Afriqiya may have learned a few things from that accident.
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    I had never heard of Afriqiyah prior to the crash.
    See, no such thing as bad publicity.
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    some postings on the 'net indicate that Tripoli does not have adequate aircraft guidance systems.

Which would affect any aircraft attempting to fly into Tripoli, including the alternative Air France flight.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure