PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    LuckyG wrote: »
    I rent (for now), I also have a dog & 3 rats. There was nothing in our contract to state we couldn't have pets, but I did check with the letting agent at the time (a new one has taken it over now).

We pay the rent on time every month, and have done for the past 4 years, we keep the place clean and it doesn't smell of my animals. When we move out in the next month or so, I will make sure the place is left as I found it. Well, actually it's better now than when we moved in.

Anyway, my point is, if they have paid the rend in advance, they sound like decent tenants. Why cause so much hassle over a dog? If someone had been living on carpets for a year and then you moved back in, surely you'd want to replace them anyway.

The neighbour sounds like she has nothing better to do, I find it a bit weird that she's spying and reporting back to you all of the time. It's creepy to be honest and I'd feel on edge if I was the tenant.

I am making a hassle over a dog because this is not just some flat I bought to let out, it has been in the family for generations and has a lot of furniture in as part of the let which would be hard to clean, let alone replace. I am glad that you have an understanding landlord who allows you to keep animals which spread the bubonic plague throughout Europe but personally I do not want large or even small animals present given the damage they could cause and my very serious allergy to dog/cat fur. Washing a sofa cover is one matter but the upholstery on antique furniture is difficult to clean, you can't just put it in the washing machine!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I am making a hassle over a dog because this is not just some flat I bought to let out, it has been in the family for generations and has a lot of furniture in as part of the let which would be hard to clean, let alone replace. I am glad that you have an understanding landlord who allows you to keep animals which spread the bubonic plague throughout Europe but personally I do not want large or even small animals present given the damage they could cause and my very serious allergy to dog/cat fur. Washing a sofa cover is one matter but the upholstery on antique furniture is difficult to clean, you can't just put it in the washing machine!

5.5/10 - getting better!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might be that the reason the neighbour's seen the dog is because the tenants are super-houseproud.

It might be that the tenants are fully aware you intend to move back into the house and they fully intend to leave at the end of their current tenancy.

It might be that when they leave they thoroughly deep clean everything so there's no evidence whatsoever there's ever been a dog even passing in the street.

The long and short of it is this: You have what you have, tenants who might have a dog. There's nothing you can do about it for now .... just make sure you issue their notice in the correct manner/by the correct date at the end of their tenancy if you wish to return to take up residence. Then see how things are once you've got the keys back.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    A full management service is typically 10-12%.

(I wouldn't bet on your taxes being up to date!)

Yes all taxes are deducted before the money even gets into my account, it's about %25, and I have never heard anything from the tax man. Fine by me
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options

If that furniture was so important to you then you shouldn't have left it in the property. Even if the tenant didn't have a dog, the furniture could still get damaged.

Domestic rats do not spread the plague :rotfl: that is a ridiculous thing to state. If that was the case I'd be long gone as I've kept rats for more than 15 years.

I value my animals just as much, if not more, than you value your precious furniture.
    If you valued it that much you wouldn't have left it in the property to potentially get damaged.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Yes all taxes are deducted before the money even gets into my account, it's about %25, and I have never heard anything from the tax man. Fine by me

The Tax man doesn't get in touch until the end of the tax year - given you've rented for 4 months, your self assessment wont be due until Oct or Jan (if done online) for 2016/17 (1 months rent)
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    It might be that the reason the neighbour's seen the dog is because the tenants are super-houseproud.

It might be that the tenants are fully aware you intend to move back into the house and they fully intend to leave at the end of their current tenancy.

It might be that when they leave they thoroughly deep clean everything so there's no evidence whatsoever there's ever been a dog even passing in the street.

The long and short of it is this: You have what you have, tenants who might have a dog. There's nothing you can do about it for now .... just make sure you issue their notice in the correct manner/by the correct date at the end of their tenancy if you wish to return to take up residence. Then see how things are once you've got the keys back.

I appreciate what you're saying but I don't know why everyone here is apparently such an experienced landlord and yet so defeatist about a tenant blatantly breaking their agreement, if every time things go wrong you just throw your hands up in the air and say 'well I actually can't enforce anything in the contract' ....?
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    The Tax man doesn't get in touch until the end of the tax year - given you've rented for 4 months, your self assessment wont be due until Oct or Jan (if done online) for 2016/17 (1 months rent)

That is only the current let, I previously had a girl in on a 12 month contract through this same agent and then a short term one. I don't have to do a return because it is all administrated through the tax scheme
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No one is being defeatist just realistic you might want to try it. Knock yourself out. Issue a Section 8 on ground 12 and see how far you get.

Oh and the bubonic plague was spread by fleas not rats.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That is only the current let, I previously had a girl in on a 12 month contract through this same agent and then a short term one. I don't have to do a return because it is all administrated through the tax scheme

To which tax scheme are you referring?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport