PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    I'm taking everything the OP says with a pinch of salt. We don't even know if the tenant really exists, let alone that they said it was a Czech Wolfdog. Now with the OPs DNA testing comment I think its all bull$h1t anyway.

I said that the only way to know would be to DNA test which is obviously not practical and would not seem to be very relevant anyway, since the tenants are free to stay as long as they want and start their petting zoo, maybe forever since 12 month contracts don't really exist and none of the words in them mean anything.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I said that the only way to know would be to DNA test which is obviously not practical and would not seem to be very relevant anyway, since the tenants are free to stay as long as they want and start their petting zoo, maybe forever since 12 month contracts don't really exist and none of the words in them mean anything.

Stick the dummy back in.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've lost interest now. Take the advice, sell up - you're not cut out for landlording. (Yes, I'm a landlord and yes, our tenants have pets).
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    You could tell the agency you rent through that the tenants have got a dog - against the terms of the contract, and let the professionals advise you.

You could potentially give permission for the dog (as it already there), but ask for a bigger deposit to cover the potential damage (This would also need to be protected) and add an amendment that the tenants must get the flat professionally cleaned,

Now that they have found a tenant they don't want to hear any more about it because I didn't pay for their full management package. They literally came to me soliciting for business and persuaded me to rent my flat out while I am away. They never said that 12 months is not 12 months. I don't know if they are even operating any more. I wish I had never got involved
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In case the dog is pooping or peeing in the garden.

In case the dog is damaging items inside the place.

In case the dog is being allowed to bark.

Because the dog will probably be making the place smell "doggy".

EDIT; and I've now read that the dog is indeed barking (or, to be more exact, howling) and that would upset me that an innocent neighbour was being disturbed when I knew they werent due to be (ie because I'd specified no dogs).

Also - with OP being allergic to them - then she has every entitlement to replace the carpets afterwards and have the place professionally cleaned.

Add the fact that the tenant has proved they tell lies.

My sympathies - and I would want them out pronto - and the main reason would be because I'd found out they are the sort of person that tells lies/takes me for an idiot that would believe lies.

In the circumstances I would be going round to talk to them personally and telling them I knew very well that they had told me a lie and that had made me angry with them. Tell them I have very valid reasons for specifying no pets in the contract - ie my allergy and protecting my garden from toileting and my home from smelling doggy and say that they had the shortest possible notice period I could legally give them to get out. Followed by telling them the costs they would already incur for new carpets/professional cleaning/any putting right the garden and that I suggested they don't try and "stand on their rights/forget their responsibilities" or I'd be looking to see if I could get compensation as well for problems/hassle they were causing me and see if I could ensure an accurate reference about them got passed onto potential future landlords.

That sounds like harassment to me. What happened to quiet enjoyment?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    What happened to telling the truth? - ie the tenants committed themselves to not having a pet and are now lying and saying they don't have one:cool:
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I seriously hope the tenants come on this forum and get advice to tell you to F......

Ah, I see Guest has found it really was a werewolf!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well not telling the truth isn't against the law whereas harassment is.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    So in the space of a few hours the tenants gone from having one dog who might shed a bit of hair and necessitate a carpet clean, to having a wolf-hybrid who is eyeing up the neighbours for dinner and destroying the building from the inside out. (according to the totally reliable and not at all gossipy next door neighbour.)
    And OP can never ever evict them because contracts are lies and words no longer have any meaning.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    This is priceless!!! Perfect for a Monday. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure