Pros and Cons of Pre-Paid Funeral Plans

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    People who are on means-tested benefits find it useful. Buying one means you don't have to set aside a lump sum for funerals out of the capital amount you are allowed to have.

My parents bought theirs when the capital allowed was £6000 which would only just have paid for both their funerals. If they had kept that aside and then saved up for any big items they needed, they would have gone over the capital allowance.
    So, their biggest worry in life was that they would both die at the same time, just after buying some big item out of their savings? It all sounds a bit unlikely.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting thread I am just looking at such a plan to cover Mother in Law who spends 80% of the year in Spain and over here when it gets too hot.

Looking for one to cover both countries and found a couple that do this. However I would be interested in anybodies experience if they have had similar issues
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2010 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    So, their biggest worry in life was that they would both die at the same time, just after buying some big item out of their savings? It all sounds a bit unlikely.

Did I say it was their biggest worry in life?

They are people who have always managed their money well, mostly because they've never had much of it.

They were concerned that, even if they had kept close to £6000 in savings, paying for the first funeral would leave the survivor with limited savings, for instance if the death meant a house move. If they both died together, they wanted to make sure that their funerals would be paid for from their estate without anyone else having to find the money.

Unlikely as it sounds to you, that's what they did and why they decided to do it.
  • freedom
    freedom Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    You may not pay in more but loss of interest has to be considered.

If you pay £2,000 into a plan at 60 and died at 75 then you may have been better to have invested at 5% because it would be worth £4158 with compound interest. Or play safe and use index linked savings certificates.

Indeed anyone considering burial can do their own advance planning and purchase a lair now. Local councils are bound to increase costs over the next few years.
    scotsbob
    Please tell me where you get 5% interest these days?
  • Kvnlyle
    Kvnlyle Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    There seems to be so much confusion here!

There are Monthly Insurance plans like Sun Life, Axa etc with Parky & then there is the Coop witch is a pure funeral plan for either type & then there are three levels of plan, depending on which you require, your choice don't forget. You can pay a lump sum starting at around £2500. Then no more until a funeral is required. Just think the cost of a funeral today is around that figure, you can of course pick a fixed premium for 2 or 3 years or a lower monthly figure forever.

The Insurance plans that are often advertised by the older retired celeb is usually designed purely to provide a lump sum...But How Much Will a funeral cost in ten years? That's the question & the significant difference.
    Yes you can elect to save your own money, but what a temptation for that cruise you saw last week..Come on people are generally not good savers. That's why we are in such a universal pickle... But that's another story

Live Long & Prosper
    KL
  • Sweey_as_a_nut
    Options
    Two of my friends bought their funerals 12 years ago cost £4,400 that was for 4 funerals their wives included. When they told me I had a good laugh. My wife died in June this year cost £3,230 for a cremation funeral, a few months later I paid for mine, cost 2,700. the only way it can cost more is if the price of gas goes up substantially. Soo all though I laughed at the time my two as cost £5,930.
  • Robin_T_Cox
    Robin_T_Cox Posts: 201 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2010 at 7:28PM
    Options
    The bottom line is this.

When I pop my clogs, they are going to have to dispose of my earthly carcass in such a way as the rest of the living population are not threatened by infection from its decay.

So basically it's a public health issue.

For many years I have paid my NI and taxes to ensure that the community are protected from public health threats of many kinds, and therefore when my carcass is all that remains I hope they will dispose of it with as much respect and dignity as spares the rest of the population from harm owing to its decay.

But if they don't, too bad. I shall be long gone. And in the meantime I do not intend to lose very many hours' sleep about how I feather the nests of insurance companies or funeral directors as to how I boost their annual profits.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    freedom wrote: »
    scotsbob
    Please tell me where you get 5% interest these days?

ICICI bank 5.5% fixed rate that I fixed 2 years ago. NI index linked which is currently paying me 5.6%.

BankMuscat which is currently paying me 6.5% on a fixed bond. Central Bank of Oman which is paying me 6% that I fixed 2 years ago.

I fixed the deals when rates were higher than they are now.

The key thing is to fix when rates are high.
  • oswemid
    Options
    My wife and I have a Money ISA running, my question is why not use these to pay for our funerals.

We top these up every year

Is this possible
  • Kvnlyle
    Kvnlyle Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget Even Banks can fail , just look at whats currently going on in Europe especially. So Gulf of Oman would be a worry to me I think. Just be careful even Uk banks get into trouble
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure