NST March: Marching to a different beat

Options

Comments

• lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all, just checking for the day

All spreadsheet up to date. Another spendy day for me today i'm afraid but ive still got plenty of month left
    Have a nice day everyone :)
    On a mission
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all...!

You ever get the feeling you're doomed to repeat the same mistakes haha. Not checked in for a few days - partly because I was thinking,

'they're going to get so fed up of me making the same mistakes, blowing my budget mid month, then vanishing, then coming back making excuses...'

Of course... I know you lot are like the least judgemental people I know - but that's what I was thinking about myself. So I took time to think about it.

Problem 1) This month - Mother's Day - I spent £30 I didn't really have but I didn't want to scrimp. Mum has memory stuff going on as some of you know and wanted it to be special. The same happens with Birthdays. I try to cut corners and it fails.

Solution 1) I am going to put money aside each month into a birthday/gift fund. It will be separate from my monthly expenses, as trying to cut corners in my own budget to accommodate other things doesn't work for me. I used to do it... not sure why I stopped.

Problem 2) My food expenses have rocketed since I started to eat healthy, gym more and get into cooking. I joined my food and spends budget together this month - which would cover it - but then had zero left to do anything else with. Result - I caved in and went out. I just moved here and also want to make friends, and I have new family commitments which invariably means taking my folks out somewhere each week. What I find though - is that once I have blown my budget I think 'what the heck' and my spending spirals.

Solution 2) I am upping my food budget. I know... it could feed a small family of elephants with that but... trying to eat a quantity of chicken/meat/fish 3/day and all fresh veg is working out expensive. But I want to bulk up at the gym so I need to do it. I guess all our budgets will vary depending on how we live and who we cater for. I am lucky enough to just have to feed me, so I can stretch it a bit. I'll keep my spends separate again next month. I am also going to have a 'Buffer Fund' of just £50. It will be like an overdraught - so if I do go over it's there BUT I have to pay it back next month and it's capped.

Well - lets see how that all works out!!! So - on damage limitation <again> the rest of the month I think.

Today = NSD number 6

Other than that I am really good. In a great space mentally, exercising a lot, diet is clean as a whistle (except for Mother's Day when I gorged on cakes!) and life is good!!!

Have a good day folks.
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Mothernerd - what was the name of the film? It sounds interesting to me! In return, if you struggle with mouth ulcers, I found using SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) free toothpastes has made a huge difference. I used to have a plague of them almost constantly. If I use a 'regular' toothpaste, they come back, so I'm sure this is the culprit. I have some skin sensitivities too.

Not an NSD here as I had to pay to park at the hospital (no free alternatives, and the 200 yards from the front door was difficult enough as it was). That was a private appointment (thankfully I have insurance) but the physio said I need to chase through the NHS as well, I may need it on my records about how I can/can't give birth, and have I thought about using crutches to help me get around? :( Crutches! I was still running long distance cross country in the first weeks of my pregnancy! :( I've got more hospital appointments coming up before the end of the month now, 3 in fact, so that's 3 NSDs lost. I don't think I'll make 18 now. £2 out of the personal spends.

Grateful for: being able to hobble? Beautiful weather :) And Asda for offering grocery orders of £25 spend rather than everywhere else charging £40, means I don't have to force myself round a shop this weekend. Health insurance provided by work.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spend day again today. The kids finished the bread and milk earlier than expected.

Took pictures of my cupboards and freezer/fridge this morning and made a list of possible dinners. Also have enough lunches for a while. Will start making DH lunches from LO tonight as he asked the last two days (on our way out of the door!!): is there anything for lunch. Must be getting close to being broke again as he usually buys his lunch and only asks towards the week or two before payday. Need to prepare myself to be strong and say no if he asks for money this month.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Spend day. Went and had coffee with a friend. Ended up getting lunch for me and my friend. That was £16.50 and then had to go to Morries and get a few bits. £8.58
    Funds are running low but, trying to not dip into savings.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just back from Edinburgh and will catch up with everyone shortly.
    Had an unexpected NSD on Sunday when C took me out to dinner for Mother's Day. So at no 10 now.
    We didn't spend very much at all and found a lovely little Italian restaurant near our hotel. Beautiful food and really cheap.
    Hope everyone is well.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

Not an NSD here as I had to pay to park at the hospital (no free alternatives, and the 200 yards from the front door was difficult enough as it was). That was a private appointment (thankfully I have insurance) but the physio said I need to chase through the NHS as well, I may need it on my records about how I can/can't give birth, and have I thought about using crutches to help me get around? :( Crutches! I was still running long distance cross country in the first weeks of my pregnancy! :( I've got more hospital appointments coming up before the end of the month now, 3 in fact, so that's 3 NSDs lost. I don't think I'll make 18 now. £2 out of the personal spends.

Grateful for: being able to hobble? Beautiful weather :) And Asda for offering grocery orders of £25 spend rather than everywhere else charging £40, means I don't have to force myself round a shop this weekend. Health insurance provided by work.

LavenderBee - parking for a medical appointment still counts as medical spending, so you keep your NSD, I believe x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mothernerd - what was the name of the film? It sounds interesting to me! In return, if you struggle with mouth ulcers, I found using SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) free toothpastes has made a huge difference. I used to have a plague of them almost constantly. If I use a 'regular' toothpaste, they come back, so I'm sure this is the culprit. I have some skin sensitivities too.

This all sounds awful, just keep hanging on to the thought that your body will return to normal soon enough after the birth.
    Just back from Edinburgh and will catch up with everyone shortly.
    Had an unexpected NSD on Sunday when C took me out to dinner for Mother's Day. So at no 10 now.
    We didn't spend very much at all and found a lovely little Italian restaurant near our hotel. Beautiful food and really cheap.
    Hope everyone is well.

I'm visiting Edinburgh for the first time next month, I'd be interested to hear where you went and any highlights.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks greent - I think I will count them, but put them in brackets! If I was terribly organised I'd arrange for any other spending (groceries, fuel and gifts) to be planned and done on the same days. Something to aim for next month (particularly since the number of appointments is racking up now anyway, regardless of my extra brokenness!)
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What sort of things do you like to do Dolly? Edinburgh is a beautiful city but it can be very expensive. One place I always recommend going to is the Dome on George Street. It is a spectacular restaurant (it has a website if you want to have a look) but well worth a visit. It looks expensive (and I think it could be for dinner) but a drink or tea is very affordable (nice sandwiches and one portion is enough for two people for a light lunch). How long are you going for? Are you staying overnight?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure