DVLA insistent on misspelling name

Options
Isn't it often the minor problems that can be the most irritatingly difficult to sort out. DVLA, despite several requests over the years, just will not correct the spelling of my wife's name on her driving licence.

Her surname (let's say, just for illustrative purposes) is KARNSTEIN, and has been since Dracula was a lad. However, DVLA have, since times long past, spelt it KARNNSTEIN, ie. with an extra N and seem unable or unwilling to alter it. Latest attempt, this month when she had to renew licence as coming up to age 700, sorry, 70. Couldn't renew online because of discrepancy so went by snail mail, completing renewal form with correct spelling and passport details, as requested by DVLA, to confirm.

The new licence duly arrived, with her name still misspelled.:naughty: Oh, well, back to drawing board.

Maybe I could try telling her she cannot drive anymore as she does not have a valid licence:D or, then again, maybe not.

Comments

• There, a quick search on the duck!

Name Change
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My forename is very unusual and causes me daily grief! Getting official documents to recognise it has been a problem for most of my life - and I'm 64 years old. To my knowledge there are only two of us with the forename.

Comments range from 'are you sure?' to ' can you spell that again?' to 'gosh, that' unusual, where's it from?' The 'are you sure?' ones annoy me the most, why would I not be sure! Rhetorical question.

Having to spell it out each time is fine, having to correct officialdom is just plain frustrating. So, my sympathies are with your wife, all I can suggest is being pedantic, insistent and calm. (being calm doesn't always work for me even though it's my aim). :rotfl:
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Write to the Information Compliance Officer, DVRE, DVLA, Swansea SA6 7JL making an official complaint that the DVLA are holding incorrect personal data in contravention of the Data Protection Act and the GDPR.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    DH's christian names are Steven Stanley Surname. We once had a letter from the DVLA addressed to 'Steveb Stabket Surname'.
    I often call him by that to take the mickey.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DH's christian names are Steven Stanley Surname. We once had a letter from the DVLA addressed to 'Steveb Stabket Surname'.

162035_142299902496203_6995051_n.jpg
  • tetley
    tetley Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    My forename is very unusual and causes me daily grief! Getting official documents to recognise it has been a problem for most of my life - and I'm 64 years old. To my knowledge there are only two of us with the forename.

Comments range from 'are you sure?' to ' can you spell that again?' to 'gosh, that' unusual, where's it from?' The 'are you sure?' ones annoy me the most, why would I not be sure! Rhetorical question.

Having to spell it out each time is fine, having to correct officialdom is just plain frustrating. So, my sympathies are with your wife, all I can suggest is being pedantic, insistent and calm. (being calm doesn't always work for me even though it's my aim). :rotfl:
    Care to tell us what your forername is?
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    tetley wrote: »
    Care to tell us what your forername is?

:rotfl::eek:
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl::eek:

No wonder people have difficulty spelling that, I never know whether the silent Z comes before, after or in the middle of the double J.
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DVLA finally corrected spelling:T after final, very tongue in cheek, snail mail. Taken them only forty plus years of assorted requests - patient endurance attaineth to all things.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My forename is very unusual and causes me daily grief!

Is it Ran but pronounced Rain?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport