Who is my gas supplier?.......

Options
I bought a house 7 weeks ago and still haven't found put who supplies my gas. I rang Co op energy (the previous owner said it was them) - they denied all knowledge (although they DO supply my electricity), asked for my meter number, looked it up on a database and said it was EDF. Rang EDF-said it was not them-couldn't find it on the database - no idea who it may be-told me to wait for a 'Welcome pack' - 7 weeks on, still nothing. Apart from waiting for a bill is there anything else that I can do? Thanks.

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Google "Who supplies my gas"
    This will give you the phone No of the national data base for Gas meters - Beware that they operate Premium rate phone lines
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Emuchops wrote: »
    I bought a house 7 weeks ago and still haven't found put who supplies my gas. I rang Co op energy (the previous owner said it was them) - they denied all knowledge (although they DO supply my electricity), asked for my meter number, looked it up on a database and said it was EDF. Rang EDF-said it was not them-couldn't find it on the database - no idea who it may be-told me to wait for a 'Welcome pack' - 7 weeks on, still nothing. Apart from waiting for a bill is there anything else that I can do? Thanks.

Try Sainsburys.
    Or maybe Shell.

Or wait for the bill. You won't miss it. It'll be HUGE based on vastly over-estaimated readings and the suppliers outragiously espensive default tariff.

But look on the brightside. No monthly debits to worry about at the moment :money:
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 11:47AM
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    Google "Who supplies my gas"
    This will give you the phone No of the national data base for Gas meters - Beware that they operate Premium rate phone lines

Be extremely careful of any scam sites that operate premium rate numbers.

Any official site would not use a premiun rate number for this service.

Here is the Ofgem site
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier

It says
    Who is my gas supplier?

Call the Meter Point Administration Service to get details of your gas supplier. They can also give you your Meter Point Reference Number, or MPRN.
    • Telephone: 0870 608 1524
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Emuchops wrote: »
    ...... asked for my meter number, looked it up on a database and said it was EDF. ......
    Wrong way round!

You need to tell them your meter number!

Chancs are there's been a mix-up over numbers and eg your neighbour is being charged for your gas.

Get your number off your meter and then call OFGEM or use their website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure