PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Current property owner and first time buyer - help to buy conflict

Options

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    studentguy wrote: »

I don't know why you're here, you just want to argue with people who don't follow your philosophy or trying to con the taxpayer. You should probably leave, people here don't take kindly to tax avoidance.

Funnily enough I was about to post a comment along similar lines.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Real Estate? You sound like a Yank
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know what the question is now/anymore?

Including the OP?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Soundgirlrocks Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2018 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    This is really why a lot of people here seem to be commenting with things they do not understand.

There are such things as 'private residency relief' for your main residence property before selling. By having lived there for x period of time before a sale.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home

Private Residence Relief
    You don't pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell (or dispose of) your home if all of the following apply:
      you have one home and you've lived in it as your main home for all the time you've owned it
        you haven't let part of it out - this doesn't include having a single lodger
          you haven't used part of it for business only
          the grounds, including all buildings, are less than 5,000 square metres (just over an acre) in total
          you didn't buy it just to make a gain

From the link you posted, you clearly didn't read it so I've highlighted the bits that apply and why your brother will get a hefty capital gains bill if he sells. :rotfl:
        • Goldcrypto
          Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
          Options
          Real Estate? You sound like a Yank

You do not want to use the correct terminology? So should Cambridge university rename their Masters degree in Real Estate Finance to something else? Along with every other program in the UK ?

https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/lelempref

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/real-estate

'property in the form of land or buidings'

My family is mixed of both English and American. Are these boards to exclude 'Yanks'? Although I am English native born (but also have dual citizenship as an American via family). Any other slang names you want to call Indian's or Chinese or anyone else using these boards?
          'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
        • Goldcrypto
          edited 9 August 2018 at 6:15PM
          Options
          Private Residence Relief

From the link you posted, you clearly didn't read it so I've highlighted the bits that apply and why your brother will get a hefty capital gains bill if he sells. :rotfl:

No. I know exactly what I posted. The fact highlights that 'private residence relief' exists. That shows how it can not be payable in some circumstances, but is still massively reduced when the property becomes your main residence. Some maybe payable but it is significantly reduced. Here you go, a little more reading for you - I guess not a property investor:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/capital-gains-tax/capital-gains-tax-on-property-avuq96u1500f

There is absolutely nothing wrong people paying capital gains tax when you have made a great return. It just means your return is a little less but still a great return overall. Someone here equated a comparison to your job. If you salary increased 3 or 4 times, you do not turn it down just because you pay more tax?

The immaturity of someone getting excited about someone having to pay seems alarming.
          'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
        • Goldcrypto
          Options
          Doozergirl wrote: »
          Does anyone know what the question is now/anymore?

Including the OP?

Does anyone know why you are still posting on this thread, including you?

W Buffett
        • Doozergirl
          Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
          Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
          edited 9 August 2018 at 6:40PM
          Options
          Does anyone know why you are still posting on this thread, including you?

I know why I'm here. I remembered. I came to ask your advice about Private Residence Relief and wondered if you could illustrate how your brother plans to take advantage of this particular form of relief on his London property, just as an example?
          Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
        • Goldcrypto
          edited 9 August 2018 at 6:51PM
          Options
          Doozergirl wrote: »
          I know why I'm here. I remembered. I came to ask your advice about Private Residence Relief and wondered if you could illustrate how your brother plans to take advantage of this particular form of relief on his London property, just as an example?

You would need to ask him? Would also be interesting to have a crystal ball to know what legislations are in policy, in the next 15 or 20 or 25 years when he possibly looks at selling? Or maybe some current options -

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/capital-gains-tax/capital-gains-tax-on-property-avuq96u1500f

W Buffett
        • studentguy
          studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
          Options
          You would need to ask him?

That's a good point, why isn't "he" here asking about his financial issues rather than you?
          Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
        This discussion has been closed.
        Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
        • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
        • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
        • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
        • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
        • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
        • 173.1K Life & Family
        • 247.9K Travel & Transport