PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Current property owner and first time buyer - help to buy conflict

Options

Comments

• studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Someone died. The brother did not work hard!

But but Goldcrypto keeps saying how his brother works really hard and manages to invest his money in property... he's worked really hard to pay the mortgage every month, what with the rental income only being a few times the mortgage amount every month. He's working really hard making loads of sacrifices don't ya know! We shouldn't tax him
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    so much 'whataboutism' . . . .
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    studentguy wrote: »
    But but Goldcrypto keeps saying how "his brother" works really hard and manages to invest his money in property... he's worked really hard to pay the mortgage every month, what with the rental income only being a few times the mortgage amount every month. He's working really hard making loads of sacrifices don't ya know! We shouldn't tax him

Fixed that :P
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just smiling thinking of all that lovely capital gains the Brother will have to pay when he eventually sells that wonderful London investment.:rotfl:

This is really why a lot of people here seem to be commenting with things they do not understand.

There are such things as 'private residency relief' for your main residence property before selling. By having lived there for x period of time before a sale.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home

As for those with general capital gains that is a good thing. People who have invested and turned fruitful returns having to pay the current rates are justified. Is a win win situation for the economy and property owner.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    This is really why a lot of people here seem to be commenting with things they do not understand.

There are such things as 'private residency relief' for your main residence property before selling. By having lived there for x period of time before a sale.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home

Not quite. Living in the property for x time doesn't remove all CGT liability. It might help reduce it but the liability will still be there.
    As for those with general capital gains that is a good thing. People who have invested and turned fruitful returns having to pay the current rates are justified. Is a win win situation for the economy and property owner.

Indeed. People only pay CGT when they've made a tidy Capital Gain. To try and avoid it by not making a capital gain is like not wanting to go out to work because your income will be taxed.
  • Goldcrypto
    edited 9 August 2018 at 3:32PM
    Options
    Someone died. The brother did not work hard!

So clueless. You do realise not all properties are equal value? Some properties in the UK are fraction of the value to London. Or do you know the financial breakdown of how many people may have been on a deed to another property? No money used to invest in property by my brother was given to him. Only his savings were used.
    studentguy wrote: »
    But but Goldcrypto keeps saying how his brother works really hard and manages to invest his money in property... he's worked really hard to pay the mortgage every month, what with the rental income only being a few times the mortgage amount every month. He's working really hard

Another clueless post here. You do not think there can be large property projects at times like if someone chose to renovate to increase the value of the property? You think people only choose to pay of the minimum mortgage and not try and overpay to reduce the time frame of a mortgage? Oh wait, oh silly of me, despite you not even been a property investor you're not even a homeowner. Explains it. Pointless.....
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    So clueless. You do realise not all properties are equal value? Some properties in the UK are fraction of the value to London. Or do you know the financial breakdown of how many people may have been on a deed to another property? No money used to invest in property by my brother was given to him. Only his savings were used.

Do you know your brothers last bowel movement as well? What he had for breakfast this morning?
  • Goldcrypto
    Options
    Do you know your brothers last bowel movement as well? What he had for breakfast this morning?

Which one? I have 2 brothers and 1 sister. Would that form part of some property investment advice if I did?

W Buffett
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be honest, I didn't read much further than page 2, but "average Joe's just looking to work hard and have one property investment along with their residential" is the funniest thing I've read in a while!
  • studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Or at all interested...I am interested in solutions. Or any of the other unrelated nonsense. A person that has already demonstrated his own knowledge of real estate economics and investment - one best to avoid. Not interested in your other pointless posts here as not constructive for me to even reply.

You seemed interested enough to make assumptions about me. Also I have knowledge of "real estate" as you like to call it, economics and investment, I just believe in paying your fair share in taxes, funny that.
    I will not bet 'getting' anyone to do anything. They will be making their own investment decisions. No the fact is they are doing nothing wrong and is likely they will be buying in the conventional manner together. However, asking a question helps people explore their options.

So why argue?
    I'd suggest not adding anything else as there is nothing of value to this thread from you. Spend your time work related and get saving.

For someone who has no interest in my life, telling me to work and get saving is a bit odd, it's also incredibly patronising. I know how to work and save thanks, that's how I'm in the process of buying a house.
    So clueless. You do realise not all properties are equal value? Some properties in the UK are fraction of the value to London. Or do you know the financial breakdown of how many people may have been on a deed to another property? No money used to invest in property by my brother was given to him. Only his savings were used

And?
    Another clueless post here. You do not think there can be large property projects at times like if someone chose to renovate to increase the value of the property? You think people only choose to pay of the minimum mortgage and not try and overpay to reduce the time frame of a mortgage? Oh wait, oh silly of me, despite you not even been a property investor you're not even a homeowner. Explains it. Pointless.....

I'll be a homeowner by the end of the month...? Yes I'm well aware about overpaying mortgages thanks.

I don't know why you're here, you just want to argue with people who don't follow your philosophy or trying to con the taxpayer. You should probably leave, people here don't take kindly to tax avoidance.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport