Oh, the shame - I forgot to scan one item in Tesco!!

Options

Comments

• marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Not been to T's for years - is this a self-service till or a hand/trolley scanner?

It is a hand scanner you go around with and then go through the special checkouts.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Shop assistants on the tills forget to scan things sometimes too.

I have never had an assistant "forget" to scan anything ! How would that happen ?
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I've never heard of these searches before- do you think if I play along and forget to scan something I can get them to scan my items for me each time I shop?

I think you may be referring to self service checkouts rather than scan & shop?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I didn't know they did spot checks, but then i don't use those things unless i have to. And when i do i often have to get so much help they know i haven't forgot anything 'cos they put most through.
    I don't think Op they'll post up your photo in the store entrance among the 'most wanted' for a bag of crisps.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Not been to T's for years - is this a self-service till or a hand/trolley scanner?

I remember using a hand scanner system in Safeways 15 years ago, so it should be a smooth customer experience by now.

Wait rose and Sainsburys have a self scan system in stores or some of them.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    I used to use the scan and go service in Safeways (it was a while ago!) but it got to the point where the trolley was being re-checked every time we went because I was making too many (genuine!) mistakes. It wasn't worth using it in the end because scanning as we went around slowed us down shopping, and if everything had to go through the till anyway there was no advantage.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Offspring peering over my shoulder have just *decreed* that if I'm away shopping on my own I am to use the robot & not this nice gadget.

They've heard my language with the robot & quite correctly infer that I'd have so much fun playing with the toy that I didn't actually get supper, as well as risking being vilely rude to people and/or wildly overpaying to boot.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tyllwyd wrote: »
    it got to the point where the trolley was being re-checked every time we went because I was making too many (genuine!) mistakes.

It sounds like the system is programmed to flag up anyone who has been 'caught' previously.

We don't have scan-as-you-shop, but I'm absent minded, and forget to scan stuff when I use the self checkouts, so I'm glad of the "unexpected item" annunciator.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    It sounds like the system is programmed to flag up anyone who has been 'caught' previously.

Yes, exactly that - but if you make one mistake, and you then get flagged to be re-scanned on the next two or three shops, it doesn't take much before you are being scanned every visit and it's not saving any time. If you have to scan your items, then go through the trolley yourself checking every single item against the handheld scanner, that's just as slow, so why bother at all?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback