Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The pasties sound good. I've never thought of putting lentils and cheese together...

Happy New Year to you. How exciting that the big holiday has been booked!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All sounding good - hope you find the journal and the boiler is fixed ASAP! x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The pasties sound good. I've never thought of putting lentils and cheese together...

Happy New Year to you. How exciting that the big holiday has been booked!

I think I may have read about something like this but it certainly works. Fry some onion and a little bit of celery, add lentils and water, cook for however long it says on the packet until it's quite thick, take off the heat and add frozen peas, cheese and a pinch of mustard, stirring till combined. Then bake for about 20 minutes. It would be nice with sliced tomato on top but I didn't think of that. Actually I suspect it would make a sliceable loaf if given a longer cooking time in a deeper tin.

Yes, we have the holiday booked! Still sorting out insurance and stuff and theoretically have months to go but that will pass quickly I expect.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've made a baked lentil and cheese 'not meat loaf' thing before, but can't remember where the recipe was from. Shame - it was cheap and filling.

Result on finding the cook book.
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 4 January 2018 at 12:49AM
    Options
    Really tired tonight having made the most of a sunny day to go for a run, then walk to the supermarket then go out for a meal with colleagues. - but at least I beat my step goal. :)

Mr T is selling boxes of 72 Weetab!x cheap (£3.75) with a voucher for £5 of fruit included, so I got some. Rarely eat it but DH does and I quite like it when I remember it exists. Now all I have to do is claim (and use) my voucher. I did check the price per unit though and even without the voucher the very big box still compares favourably with Mr T's own brand. I got a few other bits too including tomatoes and clementines which are on this week's special.

Meal out was fun - food cheap and very good: it's one of those places where they make the money on the drinks.

Spends:
    Housekeeping: £7.50
    Gift £1.50
    Entertainment £14.90

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe Cherryfudge. I make pasties fairly regularly but have a couple of children who aren't so keen on the traditional filling. At the moment I do a potato and cheese filling but a lentil and cheese one sounds even better!

Glad your meal was good.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe Cherryfudge. I make pasties fairly regularly but have a couple of children who aren't so keen on the traditional filling. At the moment I do a potato and cheese filling but a lentil and cheese one sounds even better!

Glad your meal was good.

I suspect paprika could go in there too and taste good, but I haven't worked out how... maybe a sprinkle on top?

Or chopped chives or spring onion tops...?

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely day Cherry x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 4 January 2018 at 11:42AM
    Options
    So... I have printed out my Weetab!x vouchers. There are 10, and each lasts a week and can be used only against a specific type and weight of fruit, and not in Ald! or L!dl. Clever, eh? It's also limited to one per household and they are marked with a traceable code so they can't be photocopied or reprinted.

The vouchers are as follows:
    11-17 Jan - 40p off minimum 5 pack or 500g pears
    18-24 Jan - 50p off apples, min 6 pack
    25-31 Jan - 25p off bananas, min 5 pack
    So far so good - then come the ones I'm less likely to use:
    1-7 Feb - 50p off strawberries, min 300g
    8-14th Feb - 25p off kiwis, min 4 pack
    Then back to the useables again:
    15-21 Feb - 60p off blueberries, min 200g
    22-28 Feb - 50p off clementines, min 550g
    1-7 Mar - 80p off grapes, min 400g
    8-14 Mar - 50p off any single melon
    15-21 Mar - 70p off raspberries, min 150g (again, I'm not likely to buy raspberries in March, though with a bit of time and planning I could make a Sunday pudding to include some fresh ones).

I think this sort of offer must be hard for a single person to use.

Also on the MS food saving front, I have raided the freezer (getting easier as small spaces get larger between items) and found half a dozen sausages to casserole tonight. I am going to try to incorporate cous cous or similar somehow as it's this and lentils that don't get used up properly. So a search for a tomato-based cous cous may be in the offing... and whether I find what I want or no, lentils to bulk out the casserole and make a work meal or two :).

I also have a big bag of parsnips which I bought for 8p :) and which want to be made into curried parsnip soup if I have enough curry powder. More work meals instead of ready meals :).

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Well, I got into a tizzy with all the things I am telling myself I have to do so I've spent the intervening time trying to make a dent in the list while calming down. This involved realising I was starting different projects in different rooms and forgetting them as I found something else to distract me. Eventually I realised I couldn't do the painting in the kitchen while researching a recipe in the dining room and ironing in the lounge!

I've tried to cut back on the coffee and sugar today, as they don't help the tizziness (if there is such a thing). Instead I did the ironing and actually got most of it put away. Then I found a recipe and wrote it out - a small adaptation will mean I don't have to go shopping. That's just as well as it's miserable here today. I'm glad I got the washing done yesterday.

Next project was the kitchen paint. I'm having a break from that now. At first I thought the paint had separated irreversibly but a bit of googling and it seems water-based paint may remix sometimes. I've tried that and I think I'm winning.

I've stuffed a few more items into the recycling - we forgot to take the bin out just before Christmas so this is an exercise in creativity. Some tiny inroads made into the paper clutter mountain, hurrah!

I suppose it's all money-saving as I've stayed away from the shops so far today and used things I already had in!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport