Online Authorisation Additional user

Options
I'm one of the unfortunates who has to give our Saga Credit Cards because they are being withdrawn. My wife is an authorised user and we both had mobile phones registered so that we could make on line purchases and receive the one time use codes on our mobiles to authorise transactions.

We have moved our spending onto a Halifax Clarity Card but when my wife purchased something on her authorised user card the one time code was sent to my phone! A call to Halifax confirmed that we can only register 1 phone number for both cards which is pretty useless! It means she can't buy anything online unless I am nearby.

We are now looking for an alternative provider that will let us register two numbers but this information is proving hard to come by.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Could you each have a credit card separately or is that not possible or not what you want
  • musicmonkey1
    Options
    We could but we prefer everything to come through on one bill. Also the credit limit on a card taken out in my wife's name would be a lot smaller so far from ideal
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you need a one time password? I have a Halifax Clarity Card and I don't get one so I assume it is optional.
  • thecoffeehouse204
    Options
    I have a tesco credit card and my husband is an additional cardholder, I've had a lot of messages lately about adding a number for the additional cardholder and have done so now so assume they let you have two different numbers, not come across anywhere sending the an OTC yet still the old way with the password so can't say 100% though.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    We could but we prefer everything to come through on one bill. Also the credit limit on a card taken out in my wife's name would be a lot smaller so far from ideal

Understood, but does your wife really do that much online spending each month?
  • chattychappy
    Options
    All the CCs are moving to sending codes to mobiles to confirm online transactions. New regs require it.

Lots of helpful suggestions here, but it does seem CCs are not (yet) bothering to take care of authorised users.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

While I appreciate your reasons for wanting to have things on one bill, its important to know that there is a downside to this - namely, that purchases by 'additional cardholders' are not covered by Section 75 protection in case of any problems.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 February 2019 at 1:59PM
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    While I appreciate your reasons for wanting to have things on one bill, its important to know that there is a downside to this - namely, that purchases by 'additional cardholders' are not covered by Section 75 protection in case of any problems.

Just one caveat to that, S75 coverage will exist where the additional cardholder buys things for the main cardholder - and Chargeback protection is unaffected either way.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Amex would allow you to have an additional card for your wife on your account. She would be able to create her own on line account and see her own purchases only. You would see both your purchases and her's on your account.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Amex would allow you to have an additional card for your wife on your account. She would be able to create her own on line account and see her own purchases only. You would see both your purchases and her's on your account.

Sounds quite useful (and a switch of products may indeed be the answer here) but, the immediate issue here is that Halifax has implemented a system whereby online transactions can only be completed after entry of a one-time code sent by SMS to the mobile phone registered to the Halifax account. Sadly, only one Mobile phone can be registered for this purpose, so only one of the two (or more) cardholders using the account can receive the code.

Sorry to be down on Halifax but this does sound like the sort of incomplete system development they appear to be repeatedly guilty of.

Does the Amex product recognise the need for multiple mobile phone numbers to be held, or does it not use this process at all? Barclaycard doesn't (currently) use SMS codes with my online purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure