Online Authorisation Additional user

Options
2»

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barclaycard doesn't (currently) use SMS codes with my online purchases.
    I think all card issuers are moving to using SMS OTPs to authorise certain transactions.

Some card issuers (eg Nationwide) use the same 16-digit number on both main and additional cardholder cards. I don't know how they could determine which user needed to authorise a transaction.

Others, like Halifax, have a different number on each card, so there's no excuse for their inability to hold a different telephone number for the 'additional' user.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Does the Amex product recognise the need for multiple mobile phone numbers to be held, or does it not use this process at all? Barclaycard doesn't (currently) use SMS codes with my online purchases.

Currently, Amex do not use SMS to authorise online transactions.

Amex card management is very flexible, and is designed to allow you to manage multiple cards through your online services account. You can manage cards on which you are the primary cardholder or a supplementary cardholder through a single account.

With Amex, you and your wife can each create your own online accounts for servicing your Amex cards, and you can have separate mobile numbers for supplementary cards.

For example, you get an Amex Gold Credit Card. When it arrives you create an online Amex account. You maintain your address, email address, and up to three phone numbers (home, work, mobile) through your online account. You give your account a name - for example "TerrysAccount", and link your Gold Credit card to TerrysAccount.

You apply for a supplementary card for your wife to use. Let's call her Jane. You don't link Jane's card to your account, you just give her the card.

On your online account, you will see all the spending on your Amex gold card. Anything that Jane buys using the card you gave her will show up on your account with "JT" in a circle next to it.

You see everything that the two of you have spent. Only you can pay the card off using your online account.

When Jane gets her supplementary Gold Card, before she dashes off to Marks & Spencer's to spend all your money, she sets up her own online account on the Amex web site. She calls it JanesAccount. When she logs on to JanesAccount, she can see everything she is spending. She can maintain her email address and mobile phone number. She cannot see your transactions.

Jane is so happy with Amex, she decides to apply for a card in her own right. She applies for the BA Amex card. When she receives it, she activates the card and links it JanesAccount.

Through JanesAccount, she has full control over her BA Amex card. She can maintain the billing address, her email address, and up to three phone numbers. But within that same online servicing account, she can still only change her email address and mobile phone number on her Gold supplementary card.

You can also maintain your PIN through online servicing, and set spending alerts. If you have the Amex app on a smart phone, you get an instant notification whenever you use any of your cards.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    While I appreciate your reasons for wanting to have things on one bill, its important to know that there is a downside to this - namely, that purchases by 'additional cardholders' are not covered by Section 75 protection in case of any problems.

Thanks I didn't know that!
  • 2ilent8cho
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Currently, Amex do not use SMS to authorise online transactions.

They have just started as i noticed when i used my Amex on the Argos website this week i got asked for a SMS code. At least you can tick which retailers you don't want to use this SMS code check for so i don't get bothered by this again.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Thanks I didn't know that!

Except as mentioned in post #9 when additional c/h transactions will qualify for S75 coverage. For S75 coverage the debtor (which is always the main c/h) has to be the prime beneficiary of the purchase.
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a credit card from Nationwide and my wife is an additional cardholder. Yesterday I enquired via secure message about additional cardholder verification. The reply (yes, on a Sunday!) said that they are now able to hold a mobile number for the additional cardholder and asked me to supply this number.

I have asked for verification that the pass codes will be sent to the phone appropriate to the card being used. Although the card numbers are the same, the CVVs are different and (of course) the names, so maybe that's how they could distinguish.

As this verification is something that is coming in generally during 2019, perhaps all card issuers will introduce a similar system?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just one caveat to that, S75 coverage will exist where the additional cardholder buys things for the main cardholder - and Chargeback protection is unaffected either way.

Yes, I was simplifying slightly as arguing a specific purchase by an additional cardholder might be covered by S75 also allows the credit card company to argue otherwise. Much more straightforward if one is the main cardholder.

While Chargeback can be useful (in the first 120 days) its of less use than Section 75 unless the purchase is under £100. Its also operated by card issuers and not a statutory requirement
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure