PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offered asking price and seller still thinking

Options
Hi,

We saw a house today that we liked and decided to put an offer in. We put the full asking price of 250k as the area is fairly popular. We are first time buyers. The house has only been on sale for a week, it was previously on offer in October but the buyer pulled out due (supposedly nothing to do with surveyor etc)

The seller has told the agent they want a couple of days to think about the offer - even though it's at their asking price.

How long should we give them? I'm also concerned that even if the seller accepts the offer they could mess us around. I don't want to pay for surveyor fees for them to pull out. Can we get them to sign something saying it they pull out they would pay the fees?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 February 2019 at 12:18AM
    Options
    With any house and any vendor there is the chance that things will change or either party will change their mind right up until exchange takes place.

It's all part and parcel of house buying and losing money on anything you've paid out is the chance you take. No vendor is going to sign anything agreeing to pay your costs if the sale falls through.
    Have you made sure they know you are first time buyers and that you are proceedable? Do they still need to find a property to move to?

If the house has only been up for sale for a week and you put in the asking price they may be wondering if someone else will offer more. You need to be patient. And there's nothing to stop you from continuing to look at other properties in the meantime.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The seller has told the agent they want a couple of days to think about the offer - even though it's at their asking price.

Someone may view and offer a higher price.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All you can do is put pressure on the agent to get the sale, perhaps tell them that you're thinking that you might (or that you will) pull out if you don't get an answer by ..........
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Its also possible a house they've had their eye on is no longer available and they need time to look at alternatives. Maybe they've deliberately not looked too hard since losing out on one last October.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    If it were me (and it isn't so you will have a different take on it depending upon how much you want it) I would give them a week then offer less.

But that's because I'm old and cynical and hate being messed around.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They probably have a few other viewings booked in, and in that scenario, they'll use your offer as leverage. This is fairly normal behaviour for a property that's only been on the market for a short while; the agent may have undervalued.

You could put an sunset on the offer (I would) but depending on how much interest there has been, they might reject your offer.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    First mistake was offering full asking.

You have shown your hand too soon. Normally if you have an offer in on a house, should any further offers come in, you will be asked for your final offer.

I appreciate it is a popular area but you may have been better giving yourself some wiggle room as all it will take now is someone else to come in and the agent can say they have had a full asking price offer and you are now in a bidding war to pay over asking.

Let's keep everything crossed that viewings that are probably taking place over the next week or two are with buyers in a less desirable buying position than you.

With that in mind, keep looking around because if this falls through or doesn't get accepted then I would want to know what else there is out there.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    If you psychologically try to move on you're in a much better position, look around a bit. There's always something you will love more
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would give it 48 hours and then view other properties with the same agent to show your intent you won#t be messed around
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Hi,

We saw a house today that we liked and decided to put an offer in. We put the full asking price of 250k as the area is fairly popular. We are first time buyers. The house has only been on sale for a week, it was previously on offer in October but the buyer pulled out due (supposedly nothing to do with surveyor etc)

How long should we give them? I'm also concerned that even if the seller accepts the offer they could mess us around. I don't want to pay for surveyor fees for them to pull out. Can we get them to sign something saying it they pull out they would pay the fees?
    The seller likely thinks that while it’s nice to get this offer they can now sit on that as a backstop while seeing if they can get more.

If I were in your shoes I would tell the estate agents that this was the price you were willing to pay for a “yes or no” response, and that the price you would have paid while the seller saw if they could get more would have been significantly less. Point out that you think the asking price was a little high but you were happy to pay it if the seller was willing to move ahead quickly take the house off the market and facilitate a sensible prompt process.

Ask them to explain this to the seller and that you will put in a revised, significantly lower offer if they do not respond in a couple of days.

The reason that this is fair is that if you let them sit on it for a month and they get no-one else interested then this adds new information to what you both currently know, that the asking price is indeed a little on the high side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure