Bank details for transfer from "random stranger"

Options
I am owed money but as I am unable to receive payment physically (distance), I have been asked for my account details so that a transfer can take place. What information can I give without compromising bank/security? Is it safe to give somebody the sort code and account number?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The usual trope is that sort code and account number are printed on every cheque that you'll have written, so it's probably appropriate to give these details to somebody you trust and know, who has a legitimate reason to (re)pay into your account, but unlikely to be advisable to supply them to a "random stranger"....

It's also traditional to cite the old tale of Jeremy Clarkson doing this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As already mentioned you shouldn’t have any issues if you give your sort code and account number. An alternative option would be to use Paym which involves you assigning your mobile number to your bank and the payer then paying money to that number through their bank.

Presuming that they already have your number in their phone and use an app for banking this would eliminate the chances of mistyping the details.

I’ve only used this system once but it went through very smoothly. I have a recollection that the beneficiary’s name was displayed during the process so the chances of error are minimal. I think that it might take a day or two between registering your number and it becoming active.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    You may well have a lot of issues if you receive money by bank transfer from someone and that someone happens to be using fraudulently obtained money to pay you.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't want to part with your sort code/acct no, there are alternatives. PAYM has already been mentioned, Paypal is another, or you could ask for a cheque.

But why does a random stranger want to send you money?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    The usual trope is that sort code and account number are printed on every cheque that you'll have written, so it's probably appropriate to give these details to somebody you trust and know, who has a legitimate reason to (re)pay into your account, but unlikely to be advisable to supply them to a "random stranger"....

It's also traditional to cite the old tale of Jeremy Clarkson doing this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
    The Jeremy Clarkson article fails to mention that he'd have been able to get any money taken by the fraudulent direct debit back immediately under the DD guarantee.

It was obvious something like that would happen with such a stunt. You can set up DDs to charities and others online without any proof that you're the account holder, which is why the DD guarantee exists. It was just someone wanting to prove him wrong, rather than someone wanting to steal his money.

If someone wanted to pay me something I'm owed, and no suspicious circumstances, then I wouldn't hesitate to give my account details.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm with colsten. Why are you owed money by a random stranger?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Clarkson probably got the BBC to reimburse him.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What will you do if we say it's safe?

What will you do if we say it is not safe?
    ScottyCK wrote: »
    I am owed money but as I am unable to receive payment physically (distance), I have been asked for my account details so that a transfer can take place. What information can I give without compromising bank/security? Is it safe to give somebody the sort code and account number?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the money in exchange for ?

Have you sold something ?

Doesnt involve bitcoin does it ?

I wouldnt do this myself unless I trust.
  • ScottyCK
    Options
    The money was to pay for a broken wing mirror (not broken by a car, non-driver culprit which is why insurance was not involved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure