Bank details for transfer from "random stranger"

Options

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could ask for a cheque or a postal order but that means you have to give them your address (if they haven't got it already). The advantage is that they cannot re-call the money, which they could if you agreed to a bank transfer. Or, as previously suggested, PAYM or Paypal might be an option, protecting most of your personal details
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    You could ask for a cheque or a postal order but that means you have to give them your address (if they haven't got it already). The advantage is that they cannot re-call the money, which they could if you agreed to a bank transfer.
    Really? That's not what it says here: http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/consumers/what-happens-if-i-have-sent-payment-wrong-place
  • colsten
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    There have been enough cases, some even reported on MSE, of people claiming FPs back because the recipient didn't 'deliver'. Mostly scams.
  • zagfles
    Options
    ScottyCK wrote: »
    The money was to pay for a broken wing mirror (not broken by a car, non-driver culprit which is why insurance was not involved).
    You do have to tell your insurance, it probably won't make much if any difference to your renewal but do not risk not telling them at it would be fraud which will have much worse consequences than a declared no-fault incident with zero cost to the insurer.

I wouldn't worry about giving your account details for the bank transfer. As pointed out, these are on every cheque you write, plus a copy of your signature! If they were vindictive they could do like someone did to Jeremy Clarkson and set up a DD, but you'd get they money back no quibble under the DD guarantee if that did happen.
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    The Jeremy Clarkson article fails to mention that he'd have been able to get any money taken by the fraudulent direct debit back immediately under the DD guarantee.

It was obvious something like that would happen with such a stunt. You can set up DDs to charities and others online without any proof that you're the account holder, which is why the DD guarantee exists. It was just someone wanting to prove him wrong, rather than someone wanting to steal his money.

If someone wanted to pay me something I'm owed, and no suspicious circumstances, then I wouldn't hesitate to give my account details.
    But did that guarantee exist back in 2008 though? ;)
    :o
  • zagfles
    Options
    There have been enough cases, some even reported on MSE, of people claiming FPs back because the recipient didn't 'deliver'. Mostly scams.
    Didn't 'deliver' what? And what would be the point in this case anyway - it's not like the OP is parting with a valuable object for the payment. If the person who broke the wing mirror didn't want to pay, they just wouldn't pay. What would be the point of paying and then trying to recall the payment (even if it is possible, which I doubt).
  • zagfles
    Options
    But did that guarantee exist back in 2008 though? ;)
    It existed in the 1990's (I used it!) and probably earlier than that!
  • colsten
    Options
    You are not thinking like a scammer. Which clearly speaks for you. It doesn't mean there are no scammers about

All banks' T&Cs include that they can take money out of your account in case of disputes, without your agreement. Scammers have tried to exploit this, some with success.
  • colsten
    Options
    You do have to tell your insurance
    You do not have to tell your insurance unless you want to make a claim on your insurance.

I have just gone through a 3-rd party damage claim myself, and my claim was managed by a reputable Accident Management company, which I used upon recommendation by my vehicle manufacturer. They were adamant that my insurance did not need to know.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You do not have to tell your insurance unless you want to make a claim on your insurance.

I have just gone through a 3-rd party damage claim myself, and my claim was managed by a reputable Accident Management company, which I used upon recommendation by my vehicle manufacturer. They were adamant that my insurance did not need to know.

For motor insurance they do need to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure