sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom

Options

Comments

• sarahevie1
    sarahevie1 Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Year so far

Earned

Money spent
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Your figures are looking good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Savings up to 7000. Will need to start spending these soon with the house move edging ever closer.

Had a really lovely week away in the sun, but come back to feeling quite fed up.

I think it's a combination of things, not sure I want to move anymore. Don't like the new house, it's practical and I've got it for a very good price, but I'm a bit sick of being sensible.

I'm really fed up at the thought of plodding on being frugal for another 10/20 years, forever... Jealousy is a hideous trait but my new tenants went to a very expensive private school in London and they are a bit rich kids of instagram and it's actually really getting to me.

Anyway 11 days until I get paid from my main job and with 550 left in the current account, every penny counts for yet another month.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Having a much better day.

Went out for tea whilst the older girls had a longer than normal brownie meeting. Wetherspoons 4.39, just what I needed with some friends.

Swimming with DD3 and work this morning. Filled up two big bags of yellow stickered items for 5.50, so shopping budget looking better.

The problem I find is that it's often fattening things. Had a lovely chicken, bacon, avocado sandwich for lunch from Morrisons reduced to 20p, but don't think it was the healthiest. Was very tasty though
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good fats from the avocado though.

The fact it was only 20p would negate the rest for me even though I am a dedicated calorie tracker!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Will track June's spending shortly just not been on top of it really.

Outside influences have been upsetting me (would like to say more than normal, but I'm a sensitive soul and find I can worry about trauma in the world regularly.)

Those boys in Thailand have been praying on my mind, especially with the devastating death of the Navy Seal.

Had a really hard time turning round the tenancies and moving in the new tenants that I've got a valuer coming round to see what the BTL is worth. I'm not sure I can continue with a HMO anymore, it is just so expensive and time consuming to maintain.

My car's engine gave up so I've had to scrap it. I've applied for a couple of new jobs.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Later than normal but June spends

Money In
    £2308.09

Out
    £1306.03

Utilities/Mortgage £569.23 (Higher than normal but includes £150.50 for annual TV licence.)
    Travel £148.10 train tickets but includes family trips to Newcastle, Manchester etc.
    Petrol £47.82 (cheaper than normal but didn't have a car for a couple of weeks when my engine failed.)
    Solicitor costs £245.76 (relate to the new house purchase.)
    Food £68.15
    Cash 226.97 (includes clubs, social, food.)

Year to date

Money in £11518.52
    Spent £7135.98
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Having decided that having any kind of debt is just not good for me, and in my new endeavour to lead an even simpler life, I've put my student house on the market for sale.

I'm in two minds about this as everytime I look at the ad, (shamefully admitting at least once a day) I think this was my pension, and I *could* live off the income. (I've shown what I can live on over the years, so feel I have a good grasp of this.) Anyhow in the 5 days it has been on the market I've had 7 viewings so shall see what happens.

The plan with the money is to go into developing. It's something I've done a little in the past but never been able to seriously commit to it due to lack of mortgage ability, finance, fear of paying interest whilst not getting an income during the build etc.

I've added a timescale to this as my tenants are moving in in September and I don't want them inconvenienced by lots of viewings so I'm basically marketing it until then and will see what happens.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    edited 1 August 2018 at 11:59PM
    Options
    July

Income in £2229.79
    Out 1752.68

Year to Date

In £13748.31
    Out £8888.66

Utilities including mortgage/petrol/phone/CTax £542.04
    Food £203.92
    Gifts £184.77 (July is a very expensive month for me as three close family birthdays, including one of my daughters within a week). I've also been to a friends' wedding this month. I refuse to scrimp with the gifts as quite frankly I live by the principal give what you can, not what you can get away with.
    Cash £60
    Social £173.70 includes a weekend in Newcastle, evening reception at a wedding, trip to a theme park, day out in Manchester (which isn't local to me).
    Child Care £588.25 still undecided whether the extra childcare is justified with the extra income. I have been offered a lucrative research contract from Feb which will bring in an extra £555 after tax (seems a long way off, but will need the childcare to be able to do this.) Will keep reassessing.

There's been some bumps in the road with the house move, should have been completing in two days time, but still not exchanged. Despite there only being a £50,000 difference between the price I have achieved for my house and what I'm paying for the new house, I need to put £88,000 towards the sale, this covers the stamp duty, legals, estate agent fees and pays off the mortgage. I'm £5,000 short so will owe the bank of Mum and Dad (this will become an absolute priority debt as I hate owing anybody anything and haven't ever borrowed money before.)
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Had an offer for my student house today after exactly 6 days on the market. Lots of viewings booked in for tomorrow/next week, so declined it as it was lower than I'd like. Still not decided if I want to sell, but such a different experience to selling my home.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing