PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor wants to leave things in garage

Options
Hi!

Clueless FTB here looking for some advice. Offer accepted in October, with an aim to complete by the end of January.

Just bumped into the vendor by chance in the street, who mentioned that they are moving by themselves and were hoping to be able to leave some stuff in the garage.

Didn’t really say much, but isn’t this a terrible idea? If the items get damaged etc. Also, the garage is connected to the house, so either they keep the keys or organise for us to pick up.

The vendors have been quite nice, so don’t want to let anyone down. Anyway of handling this gently?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How long do they intend to leave things in the garage, is it just moving out day when they will move everything out of the house and leave a few bits in the garage to go to/from to their new place.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a car (or other belongings) that you wwant to put in the garage yourself?

How long do they plan this? A day or two? A week? A month or two? Longer?

In principle it's a bad idea (your conveyencer will not approve!). And it might even contravene the contract's requirement for the seller to provide 'vacant possession'. If you're getting a mortgage, the lender will insist on unambiguous vacant possessiomn.

Having said all that, a little flexibility, with clearly understood limits, might be worth considering.
  • Budapest123
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!

Honestly not sure how long, as I was surprised by the question! Would it be best to go through the solicitors for things like this?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Honestly not sure how long, as I was surprised by the question! Would it be best to go through the solicitors for things like this?

Cheaper through the EA's. Politely decline would be my suggestion.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The trouble with not wanting to upset anyone is that you end up being taken for a mug. It’s fair enough if he’s moving himself and he wants to leave some stuff in the garage until later in the day but if you’re not careful, you’ll be lumbered with his old junk for months, while he’s getting free storage thanks to you.

If you don’t want to cause any grief, just tell him that you have to store your own furniture in the garage on moving day because you’re having decorators in before you get settled. And definitely don’t let him keep a key! Change the locks on moving day too...at least to the garage door!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    barbiedoll wrote: »
    ..... Change the locks on moving day too...at least to the garage door!
    That goes wthout saying, on all purchases. For all external doors.
  • Budapest123
    Options
    Thanks everyone! As I expected, probably not the best idea.

Wasn’t planning on moving in immediately, but just don’t want to be stuck with someone’s old rubbish for months! Will try and politely decline to the estate agents and see where I get.

And finally, changing all the locks and meter readings are priority number 1!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Jog on....
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    Put simply: no no no no no no NO!
    decline
  • Elle_Woods
    Options
    I really sympathise with your position OP- we wanted to be as helpful as possible too, but we were really naive.

Our vendors chose to move themselves too but didn’t hire any vehicles to do it! Unfortunately on completion day our vendors were still moving out at 10pm, one car load at a time. By the time we realised the scale of the problem, there wasn’t much we could do except wait for them to finish. They left us with bags of rubbish in the garden, which they promised to collect at a later date but never fully cleared- see my first thread. (Other presents included a smartie that had melted to the floor, toy cars stuck in the radiators, and an old dog poo behind the sofa.)

Though our experience is not quite the same as yours (at least your vendor has had the decency to ask your permission in advance) I would not agree to the request. You’re just buying their house, you don’t owe them favours and it might cause everyone unnecessary stress.

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport