PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor wants to leave things in garage

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 11:25PM
    Options
    The answer to this is no. The vendor shouldn't be asking if they can leave something in a garage which won't belong to them. I don't think they have quite got round to thinking that once you have completed the garage doesn't belong to them anymore. They have probably half got there but don't understand completely that they can't leave something in your garage and shouldn't even be asking you.

The contract will say vacant possession on completion. That means empty of all of their possessions and it includes the garage.

You may want to ask your solicitor to make sure that their solicitor tells them that they have to be out of the house completely at completion. (They don't have all day the may only have until 1.00pm) At completion when you pay for the house they don't have any right to enter it any more because it is then your house.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    If it's just the odd chair, table suitcase, let them, but make sure you're there when they come to pick it up.

Give them a time to collect, and if they don't make it dump it and invoice them for your time.

Make sure they know that.

When I moved once a few items were left, I used them and sold some at an auction - not aproblem really.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    If it's just the odd chair, table suitcase, let them, but make sure you're there when they come to pick it up.

Give them a time to collect, and if they don't make it dump it and invoice them for your time.

Make sure they know that.

When I moved once a few items were left, I used them and sold some at an auction - not aproblem really.

Having items left that you know they are not going to arrive to pick up is one thing but providing free storage is something else.

The vendor is not in a position to ask to leave anything in the garage.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't do it. All sorts of things can go wrong.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2018 at 10:43AM
    Options
    We did this. In order to get the vendor moving out, we agreed to house things in the garae for a period of 3 months. We had a rider added to the contract stipulating:

- notice required to access garage and at a time convenient to us
    - After 3 months the items would be destroyed (we'd actually have sold/ recycled) with no notice to the vendor
    - £200 was retained by the vendors solicitors to help with the cost of removal and would be returned once the vendor removed the things before the deadline.
    - The items are not under our insurance and we have no liability if items were damaged, lost or stolen.

It was fine, and our garage is now clear.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    how about:

"sorry mate, I've got quite a bit of my own stuff which I'll need to put into the garage. If it helps, I'll ask my removal men to shift your stuff out onto the drive if you like...?"
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2018 at 12:10PM
    Options
    We did just that...moved ourselves and asked the new purchasers if we could leave items in an outbuilding for a couple of weeks....they said yes...we did, and collected the items two weeks later. Not everyone on both sides are mean spirited.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    They are not your friends or family. Just say no. You will end up regretting it.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    Options
    I would say yes.

As long as:

- The seller was specific on what they were going to leave - i.e. just a few bits and bobs rather than the whole house.

- The seller agreed a date for collecting the rest of their stuff, perhaps the following weekend.

A bit of junk in the garage for a few days is not the end of the world. I doubt you'll need that space immediately.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    People make lots promises before...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure