Frog in my garden. Evict or not?

Options
I have a frog in my garden.
The thing is, he can't get out, so I'm not sure whether to leave him be or catch and release him into the woodland a few hundred yards from the end of my garden.

My garden is fully enclosed with 2m high walls and fencing. There's no way he can get out.
My garden is pretty large, 12m long, 8m wide, but it's mostly unmown grass, a few other plants. No pond, so he can't breed.
I guess he must be eating slugs or woodlouse and/or ants, these are the only food for him in my garden AFAIK.

What do you think?

Catch and release or leave alone?
Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.

Evict the frog? 93 votes

Evict him
8% 8 votes
Leave him alone
91% 85 votes

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    I have a frog in my garden.
    The thing is, he can't get out

How did he get in?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Leave him. He got in there somehow .... if you turf him out he'll be lost and alone and vulnerable.... just watch him, speak to the RSPCA if you can ... and see what happens.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Nope.

Leave him/her/whatever sex they are alone. It's only a small garden and just "leave them be" to lead their Life in peace imo. If he/she/it wants to get to the woodland they'll probably manage it on their own.

In your position - I'd probably look up their favourite foods and lay a little trail leading to said woodland and then think "It's up to her/him/whatever as to whether they follow it and get to the woodland or no".
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I expected this to be about one of those Slough residents that has Poles/Bulgarians etc living in their gardens :rotfl:
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd leave him alone. If you're worried, could you make an escape route for him, in case he decides he'd like to move on? You could poke a small hole in a fence or something.

These suggestions are for hedgehogs so should work: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I didn't make it clear in the original post, I'm worried there isn't enough food and maybe not enough cover/hiding places etc.He may have eaten all the crickets or grasshoppers and now be short on food. I do have a large compost heap for shelter, not sure if he'd use it though, it's not a normal one with leaves.

k3lvc wrote: »
    I expected this to be about one of those Slough residents that has Poles/Bulgarians etc living in their gardens :rotfl:

If it was a Frenchman I'd definitely be evicting him
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    I'd leave him alone. If you're worried, could you make an escape route for him, in case he decides he'd like to move on? You could poke a small hole in a fence or something.

These suggestions are for hedgehogs so should work: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

I have rabbits, so there's no way I can make a way in/out for him.
    The whole point of the garden is that it's secure. Even cats find it very hard to get in.
  • Tea_Pea_Dee
    Tea_Pea_Dee Posts: 3,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    I didn't make it clear in the original post, I'm worried there isn't enough food and maybe not enough cover/hiding places etc.He may have eaten all the crickets or grasshoppers and now be short on food. I do have a large compost heap for shelter, not sure if he'd use it though, it's not a normal one with leave.

Froggy will not go hungry. It can eat worms, slugs, insects and even small rabbits :cool: ;)

As Mojisola pointed out, if it got in, it will be able to get out. Let's all hope it doesn't croak it :D

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    How did he get in?

I bought a couple of large plants from a local garden centre earlier this year.

When I got home and opened the car boot I found a large frog hopping about in there !

Luckily, a neighbour with a pond was happy to adopt him (her).
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Are you sure it is a frog rather than a toad?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport