Options
    Better than a frog in your throat I guess
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Relocate!

When we bought our house it had a corner pond they bred in every year we had a lawn-carpet of noisy frogs everywhere, lawn, paths you couldn't move without treading on them. The racket used to keep us awake at night.

So we removed the pond but for years after they kept coming back the same, they don't need open water, they laid plenty of spawn in very damp soil even, plant pots, all over.

After a few years of relocating bucket loads every night they were stopped for good. Oh what fun.

What a shame. I'm really trying to get frogs to breed in my pond. Never ceases to amaze me how people actually want rid of wildlife from their gardens especially species which are really struggling.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    What a shame. I'm really trying to get frogs to breed in my pond. Never ceases to amaze me how people actually want rid of wildlife from their gardens especially species which are really struggling.

The problem I had was that we had filled the pond in due to the risk to our young Grandchildren. As a previous post the frogs still came back and left the frogspawn where the pond used to be so relocating it was essential.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    The problem I had was that we had filled the pond in due to the risk to our young Grandchildren. As a previous post the frogs still came back and left the frogspawn where the pond used to be so relocating it was essential.

Obviously kids are a valid reason not to have a pond, I was responding to the poster who (it sounded like) removed the pond because they didn’t like the frogs!
    I found a good solution to the children issue actually. You can get plastic grid things to put over the pond.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found a good solution to the children issue actually. You can get plastic grid things to put over the pond.

Or you can do what we did and let them fall in under supervision.

They don't do it twice!:rotfl:
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's madness how worried parents are that children will end up floating face-down in anything more than an inch of water.

When we sold the last place we had to remove the pond - it was putting many people off. Admittedly it was a bit large for the garden....

Putting one in the new garden was one of the first things I did.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Options
    Shallow-edged ponds of the wildlife variety are not very dangerous. Stupid ponds, like barrels sunk in the ground, often are.

I am a nephew short due to one of those.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options

I removed it also because it took up too much room and as previous owners had neglected it it was foul, smelly and in a poor state, never mind drowning, I didn't want the kids to be poisoned.

Don't feel too sad for the poor froggies, we nearly back onto a nature reserve with a myriad of shallow, slow running streams and gullys perfect for them and a lot nicer than the stagnant old cess pit in my garden.

We all came out winners.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Options
    Frog got into the garden & there is some shelter. When food runs out, frog will get out somehow, or get eaten.

(Frog indoors gets relocated to garden stat.)

Awed that you have a cat proof garden.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not cat proof, just very difficult for them. I have fencing against every wall that is made of bamboo slats. It won't hold the weight of a cat, they would have to jump clean over it.
    I'm not sure a frog/toad could climb it from the inside either. Not sure they'd get the grip on it.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure