Systematically Throttled BB Speed

Options
I'm rural so slow Broadband. EE said line supports up to 7.5Mbps and guaranteed minimum of 2Mbps (that's what EE *contracted* to give me). Maybe poor by city standards but that speed is tolerable for the little we use it. After a couple of months into contract the speed slowly began to degrade. EE know because they sent me an email saying they measured my BB speed at 0.3Mbps and would I like to upgrade to fibre? In my view that's mis-selling because (1) BT/Openreach have demanded £50K before they will upgrade our local village junction box to fibre and (2) I still have 2 miles of copper wire from there. Currently getting around 0.25Mbps on a good day, with frequent disconnects.

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm unsure of the point of your post, but your low broadband speed seems to have less to do with your connection being "Systematically Throttled" and rather more to do with the laws of physics.

Perhaps you should have stayed with Plusnet.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would be checking to see if there is a line fault first. If there are frequent disconnects and the speed was once faster it is quite likely. Use a corded phone plugged into the test socket in the master socket to see if you can hear noise on the line. If the line is noisy it needs reporting to the phone provider as it is faulty.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Even though EE are hardly the best broadband provider, unless your measure of best inexplicably includes cost, I very much doubt they are doing anything to deliberately throttle your connection.

Sounds much more like a problem with your phone line. How good a cheap as chips provider is at liasing with BTW to get Openreach out to look into it is another question.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EE are owned by BT.

If they guarantee 2Mbps, they tell them to sort it!

If the line isn't at fault, maybe they need to give the router a good reset
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ruralbz15 wrote: »
    I'm rural so slow Broadband. EE said line supports up to 7.5Mbps and guaranteed minimum of 2Mbps (that's what EE *contracted* to give me). Maybe poor by city standards but that speed is tolerable for the little we use it. After a couple of months into contract the speed slowly began to degrade. EE know because they sent me an email saying they measured my BB speed at 0.3Mbps and would I like to upgrade to fibre? In my view that's mis-selling because (1) BT/Openreach have demanded £50K before they will upgrade our local village junction box to fibre and (2) I still have 2 miles of copper wire from there. Currently getting around 0.25Mbps on a good day, with frequent disconnects.

Yup. I've had exactly the same scam here this week. Broadband has been dropping out for a week, and I have phoned EE a number of times. Every phonecall they mess about pretending to test the line, while asking if I would like fibre.

I told them I would be sacking them if they did not sort out the problem, and it mysteriously cured itself yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure