ryan180680
ryan180680 Posts: 28 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 September 2019 at 7:36AM in Broadband & internet access
Walked past

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Virgin Media is known for enticing new customers with good deals. Wait until the contract ends and you get stung with less favourable price. Then of course there are the annual (sometimes bi-annual) price rises.
    Oh, what a wicked web we weave...

To be fair, the reason many of us stick with Virgin Media is that the service is actually very good. Whether its worth the extortionate prices it wishes to charge is another matter.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • ryan180680
    Options
    https://www.merseyway.com/offers/

Just found the offer on the Merseyway website. The stores number is 0161 4779780
  • A_A_Mole
    A_A_Mole Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    That's a good deal.

I'm already with Virgin so no good to me though.

Anyone haggled for a better deal on Virgin?
  • ricky101
    ricky101 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    A_A_Mole wrote: »

Anyone haggled for a better deal on Virgin?

Yes, all the time as Martin says !

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/haggle-your-broadband-existing-customer-tips/

Wait until you are out of contract or very near the end, then contact the UK Retentions dept. - on the phone menu its the 'thinking about leaving ' option.
    Thats if you do not get a sales call from VM before then.

You should be able to get a discount on the next 12 months contract plus a loyalty discount for 18 months, if you play the game nice.

Will be ringing them myself soon ,though think they will be way too dear for me this time, probably have to start being a 'switching tart' or whatever its called :D
  • A_A_Mole
    Options
    I am out of the original contract period, but didn't hear anything.

They put the price up from £30 to £50 ish, but not sure if I am on a new contract or a rolling one?

Will give them a call.

I like the TV box, but as fibre can be had elsewhere for about £20 a month, it's a lot to pay.
  • ricky101
    Options
    You will only be on a contact if you have 'signed' one, online or verbally, they then send you written confirmation in the post.

Sounds like you have been put on the full rate like I will be soon, and was thinking of going for another provider as the TV option seems a high price, but you want to consider the cost of buying a Humax TV recorder etc instead if you use the TV a lot, plus what other have said its generally very reliable.

Have a chat with retentions and see what price they can come up with for a new 12 month contact, you do not have to accept it, staying on your current out of contact rate while you look elsewhere or until you decide to stay with VM.
  • A_A_Mole
    A_A_Mole Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. I still haven't given them a call!

My TV supports having a USB drive plugged in and being able to record to that.

But I haven't tested it as we don't have an aerial plugged in.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    I’ve been a Virgin fibre customer for 8 years. I recently gave them 30 days notice to cancel my contract,...110Mbps broadband only, no phone or TV.

However, my master-plan to switch to a ‘Three’ 4G mobile router on a cheap 24-month deal has crashed and burned I’m afraid.

Land-line based broadband is completely hopeless round my way,...and that includes the FTTC offerings, so Virgin fibre is the only viable option open to me now.

Since I gave notice last week I’ve had a number of calls from Virgins’ retentions desk;...this morning I managed to negotiate this new deal: 54Mbps package;19/month for 12 months, then £24/month for the next 6 months. Not sure what will happen after 18-months but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I’m quite happy to accept the reduced speed package;...54Mbps is perfectly adequate for me. I just wish I’d been offered the new deal before I got myself involved with ‘Three’,...big mistake as it turns out. :(
  • SkipTracer
    SkipTracer Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2019 at 5:12PM
    Options
    I’ve been a Virgin fibre customer for 8 years. I recently gave them 30 days notice to cancel my contract,...110Mbps broadband only, no phone or TV.

However, my master-plan to switch to a ‘Three’ 4G mobile router on a cheap 24-month deal has crashed and burned I’m afraid.

Land-line based broadband is completely hopeless round my way,...and that includes the FTTC offerings, so Virgin fibre is the only viable option open to me now.

Since I gave notice last week I’ve had a number of calls from Virgins’ retentions desk;...this morning I managed to negotiate this new deal: 54Mbps package;19/month for 12 months, then £24/month for the next 6 months. Not sure what will happen after 18-months but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I’m quite happy to accept the reduced speed package;...54Mbps is perfectly adequate for me. I just wish I’d been offered the new deal before I got myself involved with ‘Three’,...big mistake as it turns out. :(
    Unfortunate they know how good other services are in your area because of your postcode and would not doubt they have that on their computer screens while you do the deal.

For me having the 100 service but could easily get by on 50 most other providers can supply those speeds with better upload speeds and that was my bargaining chip when I rang them last month and got my 100/10 service reduced from £33 a month to £21-50 for 6 months then £25 for the next 6 months so more than happy with that.

Just for info but might have been said elsewhere that Virgin have increased the upload speeds on the 100 Mb service from 6Mb to 10Mb and lucky for me I already had that information before I rang retentions as I could of put my foot in my mouth as there uploads speeds or lack of it has been a bug bear for me.

If your on 100 and getting 6 upload rebooting the router might get you 10 up, if your area has been upgraded and I’m not aware of Virgin publishing the fact the speeds have gone up which I find strange. Bad news though the 50 Mb service remains at 5 Mb upload.:(
  • A_A_Mole
    Options

I'd be happy with that! Does that include the TV box?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure