Vanguard Life Strategy

Options

Comments

• frenchplonka
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    The VLS80 fund you mentioned a few posts ago is 80% equities and the Vanguard Global All Cap Index Fund is 100% equities (and also incorporates some equities in smaller companies).

Over a long enough timescale you would expect the All Cap Index Fund to have the potential to generate a greater total return, though it has a greater proportion of overseas equities, smaller companies and that combined with the fact that it is fully equity based with no bonds will mean it is likely to be more volatile - perhaps quite a bit more.

So in for a bumpy ride however over 20+ this should one hopes recover and have a bigger upside?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    So in for a bumpy ride however over 20+ this should one hopes recover and have a bigger upside?
    Over a fixed period say now to 2037, 2040, 2050, nobody really knows what performance will be achieved. Historically, a 100% equities portfolio has performed better over long time periods than a portfolio which also includes bonds. However, most would prefer mixing in some bonds for a smoother ride without a massive detriment to performance.

If you select the Global All-Cap fund you will have all your money in equities and in excess of 94% of those equity investments in companies listed on stock exchanges outside the UK.

That is a significantly higher risk profile than the typical UK investor and if I were told someone had that as their whole portfolio, I'd expect it is either likely to be an experienced investor who has a specific reason for doing so, or or a naive investor who is doing it because he doesn't know much about investing and has bought it by accident having not taken onboard the advice he's received in the last couple of years of posting in this forum. Of those two reasons, if it were you, I would say it was the latter.

However, you say you have started to put money into the VLS80 and not into the Global All-Cap. That fund allocates more of its capital to larger companies, more 'home bias' in terms of country allocation, and has some bonds too. 80% equities is still higher-risk than the average UK investor would tolerate, but it is likely to be less volatile than the Global All-Cap.
  • copthis1
    Options
    I have £30,000 left to invest in one of these Vanguard funds (Due to some unexpected bills)..... which one?

I am just 51 and want to invest for between 5 (Unlikely) and 10 years (more likely)

Which fund VLS60 or 80?
  • AndyT678
    Options
    copthis1 wrote: »
    I have £30,000 left to invest in one of these Vanguard funds (Due to some unexpected bills)..... which one?

I am just 51 and want to invest for between 5 (Unlikely) and 10 years (more likely)

Which fund VLS60 or 80?

What is it that you're unlikely to buy in 5 years and more likely to buy in 10 years and how much do you think it will cost when you want to buy it?
  • copthis1
    Options
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    What is it that you're unlikely to buy in 5 years and more likely to buy in 10 years and how much do you think it will cost when you want to buy it?

Ignore the five year bit......Assume I will invest for 10 years(ish)
  • bowlhead99
    Options
    copthis1 wrote: »

Which fund VLS60 or 80?
    Some would say don't invest at all for 5-10 years, only invest for 10-15 years plus. If 10 years is likely - and you have narrowed it down to only those two options out of all the other ones on the planet, and definitely want one of them - the 60 should be a safer investment in terms of risk of loss.

If you do end up needing the money back in five years be aware you might have to lose a quarter or a third of it (or 40% or more if you had used the 80% version).
  • copthis1
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Some would say don't invest at all for 5-10 years, only invest for 10-15 years plus. If 10 years is likely - and you have narrowed it down to only those two options out of all the other ones on the planet, and definitely want one of them - the 60 should be a safer investment in terms of risk of loss.

If you do end up needing the money back in five years be aware you might have to lose a quarter or a third of it (or 40% or more if you had used the 80% version).

Any other suggestions to consider then?
    :beer:
  • bowlhead99
    Options
    You haven't given us much to go on other than timescale, so it's impossible for us to tell you whether you would prefer the 60% or 80% equities product. Most people probably prefer lower risk than 80% especially for a short timescale like a decade. So, it's natural to get comments pushing you towards 60 rather than 80 when we know nothing about you. With any two choices, the fund with lower medium-to long-term volatility is usually a safer one to be steered towards.

The very lowest-risk traditional investments are not really yielding much more than retail cash deposits and top savings accounts. So, that might tempt people to go for low-medium or medium risk investments where otherwise cash and bonds could have been OK for a decade's timeframe.

Just clicking on your post history you mention your wife is using L&G multi-index 7. Any reason not to use that fund range for your own investments? If it's for a relatively short timescale such as 10 years and you don't want more than 'about medium' risk you could consider their multi-index 5.

You mention you are 51. So presumably in a decade's time if the investment has performed poorly you still have half a decade of 'working age' before state pension in which to go out and earn more money to top up your ISAs. And if you are in reasonable health you could be around for another 40 years from now, or more. So, some people would not mind taking higher levels of risk over that timescale. But as you have mentioned you will be investing only for 10 years ish (or originally, perhaps 5) rather than keeping the investment for the next two or three or four decades, it would make sense to stick with a lower risk product, and one that's relatively simple for you to understand.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My question SHOULD have been given a 20+ time frame with a lad who doesnt really worry about a fund tasnking which in people opinion should provide a better return over the long term VLS OR Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund and what is the difference between the VLS and Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund

Some big Chinese companies are excluded from the FTSE index: Alibaba and Baidu in particular are two of the world's largest companies. But it may not be worth worrying about too much. They are included in VLS which includes an MSCI Emerging Markets index tracker rather than the FTSE.

Also VLS has a much bigger UK equity share than the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund.
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Personally I think I have selected the right risk level for the next 10-15 years I can always dail it back as I approach my 50-60s in terms of bonds %

Has anyone thought bout investing in Greek market surely after the ride they had it got to be better prob the naive investor in me talking there tho
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport