No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2017

Options

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I've decided to make a list of things I will not need to buy in 2018 and the things I may need to buy. I am going to add it to my first post on this thread too then carry it forward each new month.

Will not need to buy

Shower gel
    Body moisturiser
    Hair conditioner
    Night cream
    Foot cream
    Nail polish
    Hair serum/oil
    Makeup of any sort
    Perfume
    Bubble Bath

May need to buy

Shampoo - we have lots but everyone is using the same ones now
    Cleanser - should get through most of the year
    Eye cream - only have the one which is in use
    Day cream - should get half way through the year
    Nail polish remover
    Curl cream - do have a few so should get quite a way through the year
    Deodorant
    Hand cream - should get halfway through the year

Shouldn't need to be spending much at all really.

This is a great idea. Certainly once Christmas has been and gone I'll take stock of my stash. I also follow a FB group of planners and am planning to follow a massive project calledA to Z and want to finish 18 powder products in 2018.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Great idea Dolly, I think that I should copy it if that is OK with you?

I am going to keep a note in my purse of clothes/accessories that I am allowing myself to buy next year too, I do most of my shopping in charity shops and have a few things in mind, but have masses of clothes really and need to be very selective.

I really liked the look of the Ted Baker weekend bag inn B00ts, don't need the contents, but loved the bag:rotfl: realistically I am not a light traveller and my skincare, hair care, make up and meds would probably fill it, let alone clothes and shoes:o

Of course you can join in and keep me company.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    Options
    VALM - 18 powder products - that will take some doing.

I have a uu

Hawaiian Tropic Coconut Body Butter - WBA, I really like this but I have two more in the stash I think plus a ton of other stuff.

• dolly84
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »

My PP list

Philip Kingsley Moisture Balance Conditioner 1L
    Vaseline Intensive Care Hand Cream 100ml
    Avon MagiX Concealer
    [STRIKE]Boots Time Delay Cleansing Oil 200ml[/STRIKE]
    Body Shop Vitamin E Serum in Oil 30ml
    [STRIKE]Hawaiian Tropic Coconut Body Butter 200ml[/STRIKE]
    Tigi Curls Rock Shampoo 750ml
    [STRIKE]Burberry Weekend EDP 30ml[/STRIKE]

My 5 by Christmas list

Garnier Oil Free BB Cream
    Bobbi Brown Pale Pink Blush - surely this time I can finish it :eek:
    Bare Minerals Brightening Primer
    No7 Stay Perfect Smoothing Eyeshadow
    Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow in Birthday Suit - I would just like to hit pan on this.

My updated lists.

With regard to the Christmas list, the BB cream feels light but not light enough to finish, there isn't much left of the blush and I am fed up of it so regardless I will call it done at Christmas. No way I will finish the No7 eyeshadow, I am using it as primer and there is loads left and it would appear I will never hit pan on the Benefit cream unless I start packing it on with a brush.

One thing I have learnt is just how long makeup takes to finish and that I really don't need to be buying much at all.

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Dolly here is my list, I may fine tune it when I look closer at stash, but that should mean more items going onto the No Buy list I think.

My No Buy List
    Body moisturiser
    Hair conditioner
    Night Cream
    Day Cream
    Foot cream
    Makeup
    Perfume
    Bubble bath
    Cleanser
    Hand cream
    Hair serum/oil
    Facial masks
    Facial oil
    Toner

May need to buy
    Shampoo
    Toothpaste
    Deodorant
    Nail polish remover
    Eye cream (not for ages)
    Serum
    Acid toner (not for ages)
    Retinol treatment (not for ages)
    SPF (not for ages)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit late to the party this month, but I'm back in for December. Some UUs to start:

- Julien Farel Vitamin conditioner - small. WNB - UU as shave gel
    - Helena Rubenstein All Mascaras eye makeup remover, 50ml. WMB - very effective, no irritation. One of the best I've used.
    - Clarins Extra-firming mask mini. WNB - very pleasant, but does nothing for me, so not worth shelling out.
    - Smashbox under eye primer. WNB - did nothing under my eyes (who knew you needed a separate primer for that?!), so used up as a normal primer. Was fine, nothing exciting.
    - Footner exfoliating socks. WDBA - HG, use twice a year.
    - Laura Gellar Balance & Brighten. WDBA - already have, HG. Mostly use as a finishing powder, as the finish and colour is so good. But sometimes use on it's own when I want a very light look. Took aaaaaages to finish! Very good value.
    - Garnier Olia hair dye. WDBA - HG.
    - Toni & Guy Radiating tropical elixir (hair serum). WDDDDDDBA - HG. Loooooove this, have done for years. Gutted it's finished. I'll experiment with some other things in my cupboard to UU some stuff, but I know I'll buy this again soon.
    - Erno Laszlo Lift and firm hydrogel sheet mask. WNB - came in a QVC Tili box. It's the best sheet mask I've ever used in terms of application. Doesn't matter how good it is though, I'm not paying the prices - £44 for 4 :eek:
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I managed to clear most of my PP list from Nov, just a couple of things left, which are almost done. I'm not doing a PP list this month, just trying to get through as much as I can.

The Laura Gellar B&B really lasted! Went on a lot longer than I expected.
    PP list (November):
    - [STRIKE]Laura Geller B&B foundation – carried over from October[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Unani cleansing milk – carried over from October[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]2 mini cleansers[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]2 face masks[/STRIKE]
    - Toni & Guy hair mask
    - Body Shop body butter
    - [STRIKE]Helena Rubenstein eye makeup remover[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]4 clarins sample serums[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Body scrub[/STRIKE]

And 5 by Christmas:
    - [STRIKE]Seche Vite[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Elemis pro-collagen eye treatment[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Elemis night recovery cream-oil[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Murad invisiblur primer[/STRIKE]
    - a hand cream (I'm soooo bad at using hand creams!)
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have some UUs tonight after a shower.

Scrub Love Body Scrub, Coconut Cranberry - This came with a LF beauty box and it is really hydrating. However, half of the pack ended up on the shower floor and I spent 5 minutes to clean it up. WNBA.

The Body Shop Vitamin E Body Butter - I love this, powdery smell can be a bit overpowering though. a couple of other body butters to use :p but WBA when I need more.

Garnier Ultimate Blends Shampoo-Honey Treasures. This was a freebie and I enjoyed using it. Good for daily use. WMBA.

I liked Dolly's idea too. I usually do something similar mentally then forget about it but I have a tendency to purchase the same type of products over and over again. This is not an issue for toiletries only but clothes and shoes as well.:rotfl:

I've been going through up and downs over the last year and I don't even enjoy shopping as much anymore. Not so bad after all perhaps. I want to reduce the size of my cupboard in 2018 and have a smaller stash...
    ally.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fixx wrote: »
    I managed to clear most of my PP list from Nov, just a couple of things left, which are almost done. I'm not doing a PP list this month, just trying to get through as much as I can.

The Laura Gellar B&B really lasted! Went on a lot longer than I expected.

I agree with you about BnB. Have been using this for years. Some people have complained about the change in consistency and I do find with my current one that it keeps hitting hard pan and I have to use sellotape to remove it. They do last ages though. I have been sure that this will hit pan for ages but it keeps going. I too have a back up ready along with two other powders hence why I want to make an effort to get through some in 2018.

Bought a Happy Days conditioner from Sainsburys last night because I needed it.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • dolly84
    Options
    I had the email about the Soap & Glory Boots set this morning. I don't need anything as you all know but I did look at it as if I did and I do love S&G but they always include lipgloss and mascara which I wouldn't want plus the eyeliner wasn't something I would want either so I probably wouldn't have bought even if I did need something.

If any of that made sense well done.

I do look forward to the day when I can choose something, buy it and start using it pretty much straightaway.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family