Can husband have wife arrested for using family car without husband's permission?

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    When we ordered my car in January 07 we were able to register it in both our names.

That common sense solution has stopped. Surely family cars are family assets.

No you weren't able to do that.

Nor is registering it an indication of ownership.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The car sounds like property of the marriage.. .

Does this phrase have any meaning in English law?

I can only see it as applying to a small number of US States
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Isn't there a difference between a presumed joint asset for divorce purposes and the current legal owner of the vehicle?

If husband bought and paid for the car and his name is on the invoice/receipt then it is his property unless a court orders it otherwise. He may have given tacit permission for it to be used as a "family car" but that does not transfer ownership and if he revokes that permission then Nick_C and Comms69 are right - he could (if he wants to be awkward) report it as stolen and the daughter could be committing the offence of Taking Without Owner's Consent.

itsanne has only bolded part of a sentence and maybe misinterpreted the meaning - that advice is actually saying that they would not pursue one partner for unknowingly allowing the other to drive uninsured. In this case - his refusal to renew would indicate that he did know she was uninsured on that car and his only defence would be to declare that it was TWOC'ed. Mind you - he should also have declared the car SORN - better check he didn't think of that or that's potentially another offence if she drives it.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    In this case - his refusal to renew would indicate that he did know she was uninsured on that car and his only defence would be to declare that it was TWOC'ed. Mind you - he should also have declared the car SORN - better check he didn't think of that or that's potentially another offence if she drives it.
    You can check a car's status online if you know the registration no. MOT, tax, insurance. Worth doing, IMO. Start here, there's a link for tax and somewhere there will be one for MOT as well.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Isn't there a difference between a presumed joint asset for divorce purposes and the current legal owner of the vehicle?

If husband bought and paid for the car and his name is on the invoice/receipt then it is his property unless a court orders it otherwise. He may have given tacit permission for it to be used as a "family car" but that does not transfer ownership and if he revokes that permission then Nick_C and Comms69 are right - he could (if he wants to be awkward) report it as stolen and the daughter could be committing the offence of Taking Without Owner's Consent.

itsanne has only bolded part of a sentence and maybe misinterpreted the meaning - that advice is actually saying that they would not pursue one partner for unknowingly allowing the other to drive uninsured. In this case - his refusal to renew would indicate that he did know she was uninsured on that car and his only defence would be to declare that it was TWOC'ed. Mind you - he should also have declared the car SORN - better check he didn't think of that or that's potentially another offence if she drives it.

In my opinion, in the police advice above, not pursuing one partner is simply an example of the effect of joint ownership. I bolded part of the sentence simply because it summarised the answer to the OP's question. If a car is jointly owned, a couple's separation doesn't mean that it can be unilaterally claimed by one any more than any other joint asset such as a house.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • Comms69
    Options
    itsanne wrote: »
    In my opinion, in the police advice above, not pursuing one partner is simply an example of the effect of joint ownership. I bolded part of the sentence simply because it summarised the answer to the OP's question. If a car is jointly owned, a couple's separation doesn't mean that it can be unilaterally claimed by one any more than any other joint asset such as a house.

I'll use my previous example.

Husband comes to the house, empties the contents and leaves. Are you suggesting that the police would deem that legitimate; it's 'jointly owned' afterall.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MySonEd wrote: »
    Correct.

BTW: My daughter stopped driving the car immediately after his demand.

Looks like husband will receive a letter from DVLA soon, first about a warning for no insurance and then a fine (providing it is taxed).
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I'll use my previous example.

Husband comes to the house, empties the contents and leaves. Are you suggesting that the police would deem that legitimate; it's 'jointly owned' afterall.

What makes you think everything would be jointly owned? He could certainly remove some things, though having been removed by the police might mean he can't go into the house. However, debating how much an estranged spouse (male or female) in general could legitimately take would be a red herring as far as the OP's question is concerned. The police site's answer was specifically about a car used by a married couple.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even if people here tell you it's a jointly owned car, will she be able to drive it feeling 100% confident? I do tend to worry about things but if I knew it was a possibility that the car I was driving would be reported as stolen and I could be pulled over, I'd stop driving it until the separation was sorted. If her ex told the Police the full story, they may well refuse to get involved but how easy would it be for him to just say it's been stolen? They might stop her and then let her go on her way once she explains but is it worth the stress? It sounds like she has enough to worry about at the moment. If I could help my daughter avoid that, I would.
  • Comms69
    Options
    itsanne wrote: »
    What makes you think everything would be jointly owned?- Oh this will be fun, so which bits are jointly owned? He could certainly remove some things, though having been removed by the police might mean he can't go into the house. - unlikely. However, debating how much an estranged spouse (male or female) in general could legitimately take would be a red herring as far as the OP's question is concerned. The police site's answer was specifically about a car used by a married couple.

ok... I just realised I'm debating someone with an agenda but without a clue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure