Ways to earn a few quid when retired

Options
Apart from taking a part-time or temporary full-time job in semi-retirement, what other ways does anyone on here may a few quid in retirement, beyond the obvious of managing investments and savings?

I've got a hobby that pays, and when retired I'll have more time to enjoy that and earn more from it. Also, we currently rent out half our garage via Stashbee. On the Internet I've read that there are things like doing surveys which can earn a few quid, but was wondering what other possibilities are out there.

Comments

• OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Being a film extra is quite popular. I know someone on here mentioned they had done some extra work.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a whole boost your income board on MSE

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145

That should keep you busy.

I would say an active survey habit could net a few hundred to high hundreds if really pursued vigorously - although I would probably lose the will to live. It seems most helpful to those whose varied circumstances constrain them to doing stuff from home
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exam invigilator was one that occurred to me - seasonal but always needed
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Exam invigilator was one that occurred to me - seasonal but always needed

It is, but it is mind-numbingly boring! You have to have your eyes on the students all the time, no reading or even daydreaming. After a few days of doing it it becomes really boring!:rotfl:
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Friend of mine does some pet sitting, never more than a week and within a 50 mile radius. Doesn't pay a fortune, but it gets her out and she saves a bit on utilities.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Options
    It is, but it is mind-numbingly boring! You have to have your eyes on the students all the time, no reading or even daydreaming. After a few days of doing it it becomes really boring!:rotfl:

So quite testing then.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    So quite testing then.

Well, no, not testing, but not exactly intellectually stimulating either, which, if you are retired would, perhaps, be beneficial, certainly it would be to me, but we are all different I suppose!
  • howlsatthemoon
    Options
    If near a golf club put your name down for caddying, keeps you fit as well as making a few extra ££££'s
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Options
    Know a couple of people who have started up gardening round after retirement. Good job if you don't want to be tied down to the 9-5.
    In fact the biggest problem they have is too many requests for their services.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being a mystery shopper
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure