£380 to put back two loose roof tiles

Options

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    £380 is excessive - A call to the local trading standards office is in order methinks.
    On what grounds?

The quote was accepted. If she felt it was excessive then she shouldn't have instructed them to proceed.

Pay them in full.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Whether they had any other work is neither here nor there, slates are harder to fit than tiles as they need fixing as opposed to tiles that normally sit on the battens, day rate may well be £190 each however I would be questioning why the job needed 2 people, I would think 1/2 day each so 1 days labour in total would be more than fair, if they had asked me for £380 the 1st word out of my mouth would have started with a big fat F
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    On what grounds?

The quote was accepted. If she felt it was excessive then she shouldn't have instructed them to proceed.

Pay them in full.
    Taking advantage of an elderly person living on their own. Massively over charging her because they feel they can get away with it.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Risteard
    Options
    Taking advantage of an elderly person living on their own. Massively over charging her because they feel they can get away with it.

SHE accepted the quote.

Therefore SHE is responsible for the price.

You can't possibly claim that it's taking advantage when the quote was accepted and they were instructed to proceed. She should have declined their offer when it was quoted if she felt that it was unfair or unreasonable. The fact is she accepted the contract.
    ECA Registered Member
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    So why did she accept and then suddenly disagree with the price once the work was completed? Perhaps she was taking advantage of the workers.

Because she trusted the roofers to submit a reasonable quote?

Because charging people in whole day chunks, however long the work takes, isn't fair or reasonable?
  • Risteard
    Options
    HHarry wrote: »
    Because she trusted the roofers to submit a reasonable quote?

Because charging people in whole day chunks, however long the work takes, isn't fair or reasonable?

She accepted the quote.
    ECA Registered Member
  • djs34
    djs34 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your comments.

Yes, definitely 'naive' to accept the quote in the first place and yes legally she needs to pay them.

I will add a couple of things; when they quoted, my Mum was under the impression that is was a long job. Now whether she assumed this or they lead her to believe this, I'm not entirely sure.One thing I can be sure of is they never mentioned they were going to charge her 'a days rate' for the job or that it was going to be a quick job.

Last night she called me up as they had phoned her. They mentioned that she 'had left a bad taste in their mouths' and that she must pay up in full. They also mentioned again that they had saved her £800 on scaffolding! She felt threatened and is now worried they are going to come round in person and beat her up - completely ridiculous I know but she is 85 years old, very small and now living on her own..... I am not best pleased that they did this.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they have a social media page? Unfortunately she will have to pay but you could write a factual review on their page. Before you do this it may be worth contacting whoever is in charge to complain formally rather than asking for a goodwill reduction. I think they have taken advantage of her, any honest roofer would know how long the job would take and would price accordingly.
  • travis-powers
    Options
    Hi op I work in construction and find this outragous if I was you take charge of this and tell the 'roofers' to reveiw their bill or take your Mum to court.
    Nothing they have said justify the bill, just because she agreed she was misled in the amount of work that was needed to be done.
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'
  • Risteard
    Options
    keith969 wrote: »
    But you are trying to justify ripping off old ladies, which is morally reprehensible.
    No I'm not.

If she feels that it's a rip-off then she should have rejected the quote.

Why didn't she get other quotes or make any attempt to establish whether the quote was reasonable or otherwise?

Clearly her acceptance of the quote proves beyond any doubt that she considered it to be reasonable for the work, so it is her issue to deal with.
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills