Options
13»

Comments

• keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    Why didn't she get other quotes or make any attempt to establish whether the quote was reasonable or otherwise?

Because old people don't always think straight. Because they trust people they shouldn't. I know my 92 year old Mum is like that. Isn't yours?
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She should just pay it. She agreed on the price. When she thought it would be a long job, she was happy to pay that for a fixed roof. Now, she has ended up in the same position - with a fixed roof - so she really hasn't lost anything and she hasn't had roofers clonking around above her all day, drinking her tea and using her loo. She's also learned to ask more questions. Pay up, perhaps have a word with them about how they speak to old ladies when demanding payment and definitely don't use them again, but be glad it wasn't a *really* dodgy company who told her she needed a whole new roof.
  • djs34
    djs34 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    A quick up date. I did make contact with the Roofers yesterday. It is clear that neither on their quote, which reads Materials £0, Labour £380 and nothing else, or in person did they mention anything about the length of time of job etc. Also they mentioned that my Mum was paying for their expertise and not by the hour.

In conclusion, regardless whether I think they may have been heavy handed with the charge and not explained any of this clearly enough to my gullible Mum, as mentioned way back, she accepted the quote and it will be paid. It is the matter of having accepted the quote in the first place, which I understand thanks to this forum, that no legal action (had we wanted to go down that road) would be viable.

My lovely Mum has learnt a thing or two (next time she says she is asking me for help on such things, which is great). And I am ultimately just glad this isn't a bill for something really whopping!!!

Thanks again everyone.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you haven't paid it yet, pay buy cheque and make sure you get a receipt.
    Then review them online as you think fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure