IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Norwich Traffic Control Not Giving POPLA Reference

Options
The person borrowing my car on a specified date got a private parking charge applied to my car.

The charge was applied even though the road is a council road. I even got an email from the council confirming they own and maintain the road I was parked on.

Surprise surprise, the parking firm is still disputing and insisting I pay!

I appealed and said I would take the matter to POPLA, but now they are trying to refer me to another place - IAS? With no POPLA number.

Do I write to them insisting on a POPLA number? Can they say no? What do I do if I don't get one etc etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    yes they can say NO

NO , do not write to them

they are not in the BPA AOS scheme, they are in the IPC IAS scheme
    (google both websites and check)

so no popla, only the IAS which is a waste of time

please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread

IGNORE unless they try an LBC or an MCOL within 6 years

IGNORE the debt collectors too
  • tobythecat99
    tobythecat99 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 24 March 2018 at 8:24PM
    Options
    Can I not draw a line under this? My evidence is absolutely overwhelmingly favouring me.

I have photos and videos showing I was parked on a council road, with zero signage on the public road (obviously as its a council road).

I also have an email chain from the council confirming the part of the road I parked on is indeed council owned and maintained.

With such evidence, I really just want to put this absolute piece of cr&p charge to bed. I know there is zero reason to pay such a private charge normally, but I feel that this case has even more reasons not too.

Will the IAS always rule in the members favour?

Assume I should keep all this evidence safe for a number of years (e.g. Put it in a backup hard drive in my cloud storage etc)??

These firms are bloody annoying.

NOTE - I have their appeal response if anyone think it would be useful to look at? (obviously would blank out personal details).
  • Redx
    Options
    if you want to try an IAS appeal feel free to do so, one was reported to have won on here quite recently and the IPC figures suggest 1 in 5 are approved

so nobody is stopping you, but if it fails then you still will not have "drawn a line under it" as NTC have 6 years to try a court case in your local county court
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,356 Forumite
    Options
    Can I not draw a line under this? My evidence is absolutely overwhelmingly favouring me.
    Generally speaking, only once a Judge rules in your favour.

But if you have absolutely irrefutable evidence that the vehicle was parked on council property, then it's a stinging complaint to the IPC (we've not really seen them side with anyone other than their contributing members - PPCs) and copy it in to the DVLA and ask them to follow up with the IPC to make sure this isn't brushed under the carpet.

Have you written to your MP with details and asked them to support the Sir Greg Knight Bill going through Parliament towards the end of 2018, which will hopefully bring this out of control industry to heel?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • tobythecat99
    Options
    The IAS sits within the IPC right, and that whole company is related to Gladstones? Who often debt collect.... All of this seems so circular, and that there would be massive conflicts of interests behind the scenes.

Will appealing work in my favour if I go to court? Will a rejection work in their favour with the judge (even despite my overwhelming evidence?)

OK, I like dealing in worst case scenario. They take me to court, somehow they win. What could I be looking at paying?

Assuming I literally ignore all letters as mentioned, even debt collection letters that could be asking for more money e.g. 200 GBP+ etc? The only thing I don't ignore is a courts summons right?

I have just now wrote to my MP - Chloe Smith re all this.

Thanks for all your help. I feel annoyed to have spent my own personal time sorting this stuff out, but obviously owe my thanks to everyone who has given my valuable input.
  • Redx
    Options
    a typical loss in court is around £175 or less, the original charge plus court fees, assuming you lost of course, otherwise you can claim up to about £95 if you win in court

a court case is the decider, and costs them more money in any case

nobody will receive a "summons" , this is not a criminal case

its a civil case, so MCOL applies which I did mention earlier

we know its circular, this forum has been dealing with these issues for about 4 years or more and the MP,s talked about it in parliament on 02 feb 2018 , so they are aware of it too
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,356 Forumite
    Options
    I feel annoyed to have spent my own personal time sorting this stuff out
    Then just take a short walk in the shoes of regulars who give large chunks of their personal lives to sorting this stuff out, every day of the year.

Even from the other side of the world. :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Dancingbarbie
    Options
    Help please I received a ticket from them for parking in the doctors car park to run into the chemist for literally a few minutes
    The photo they have is just of me at a junction not actually pried anywhere
    I asked for a POPLA code and they said they do not need one as the are IPC regulated
    This is all confusing me please could someone help steer me in the direction of a template or advise what’s best to do?

I’m a single mum who only works part time on a self employed basis and could really do without paying this
    Any help very gratefully received
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Help please I received a ticket from them for parking in the doctors car park to run into the chemist for literally a few minutes
    The photo they have is just of me at a junction not actually pried anywhere
    I asked for a POPLA code and they said they do not need one as the are IPC regulated
    This is all confusing me please could someone help steer me in the direction of a template or advise what!!!8217;s best to do?

I!!!8217;m a single mum who only works part time on a self employed basis and could really do without paying this
    Any help very gratefully received

You need to read the sticky thread for NEWBIES then start your own thread if you need further help. The NEWBIES explains everything you need to know and how to appeal.

Please don't post on this thread again as the advice here is purely for the original poster.

Use the Forum Jump "GO" button near the top or bottom right of this page to get to the NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business