Bought house - Failed boiler service

Options
Hi gang!

Just bought a new house and has BG come out to have my first free service on the "new" boiler. It failed because the pressure was up at 3, there doesn't seem to be a main plug for the boiler and he said there could be leak because of the pressure. I've read on another thread that I can bleed the radiators which I intend on doing but I'm unsure as to what my next move is. The home report doesn't state anything about the boiler being inspected -only a visual inspection so that's my own fault for not getting an inspection done prior to buying the property. First time buyer mistake!! The BG engineer said I need an electrician first and then pay £99 per fault for whatever is wrong with the boiler. Everything is working fine, hot water , cooker and central heating. Any help would be great because I'm completely lost. Thanks

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:11AM
    Options
    there doesn't seem to be a main plug for the boiler
    Mains plug to supply electricity to the boiler? Mines got a fused switch. Try tracing the wires to see how it is connected.

Did BG try to reduce the pressure?
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    so...

pressure is above normal at 3 yet bg say there is a leak?..if there was a leak the pressure would be too low.

everything is working yet bg have condemned it?...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

bleed a radiator a little at a time until the pressure drops to about 1.5 then get on with your life.

keep an eye on the pressure, if you need to top it up more than twice a year theres a minor leak somewhere, which, unless you want a load of upheaval you can ignore if its only once or twice a year...the difference between no pressure and correct pressure is less than a cup of water and will do no damage unless you are having to top up every week
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    Many moons ago, I bought a house which had a 2 year old combi-boiler. I decided to join one of the above named provider's pay monthly schemes which would include call outs, repairs and an annual service. Engineer came out to do initial inspection, said I would be allowed to join the scheme, but left me with a list of necessary repairs, adjustments etc as long as my arm. I told BG where to go, as I felt I was being bullied or coerced into having them do hundreds of pounds of work. The boiler worked absolutely fine and needed no attention at all for at least ten years afterwards. I guess my message is to be wary and think about who might be trying to make money out of you.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the filling loop valve is leaking, this can over pressurise the system. The cause of the overpressure needs identifying asap. Bleeding the radiators will reduce the pressure in the system - drain water out until the pressure is down to 1 bar initially, and drain more out if the pressure goes above the redline marked on the pressure gauge when the central heating is on/hot.

Bear in mind that the previous owner may just have over-pressurised the system, not realising that this is a bad thing to do. You may be able to drain off some water and then find that the pressure remains steady. The BG engineer may have tried this and knows that a valve is letting more water back into the system.

You will need a plumber to replace the filling loop valve. You can get them with a Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) and I would suggest you do so as this will provide additional protection against anyone overfilling the system. (The PRV won't let you overfill).
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • roger-w5
    roger-w5 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Wkdside,do you know the age of the boiler,if not what is the make & model number ?

BG are just another private company,sorry to say but maybe an independent local gas technician would be a better. £99 per fault (xxxx sake).did they issue you a fixed quote for repairs ? or mind you to purchase a new appliance.

was the boiler previously on a BG contract ?

Could be some recompense due from the vendor but that depends on the sale details.
  • knight_rider
    Options
    I had this problem, the heat exchanger was leaking and the pressure was above 3 and the pressure relief valve open all the time. A new heat exchanger and pressure relief valve solved this.

If it is this the overflow would be running all the time.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 18 June 2018 at 9:30PM
    Options
    Reduce the pressure to 1 bar by bleeding a radiator and leave it off for a few hours. Make sure the filling loop is OFF.

If the pressure rises you have a faulty filling loop or the heat exchanger is passing, change the filling loop first to rule that out.

If the pressure doesn't rise turn the heating on and watch the gauge, if the pressure rises to 3 again, in about 20 minutes, the expansion vessel need recharged or replaced.

BG are the biggest cowboys out there, it's all just business to them and they have no scruples.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wkdside wrote: »
    Just bought a new house and has BG come out to have my first free service on the "new" boiler. It failed because the pressure was up at 3, there doesn't seem to be a main plug for the boiler and he said there could be leak because of the pressure.

The BG engineer said I need an electrician first and then pay £99 per fault for whatever is wrong with the boiler. Everything is working fine, hot water , cooker and central heating.

A total waste of time, you have had a 'free' service which seems to have left you in the dark.
  • Wkdside
    Options
    Bled the radiators and the pressure is absolutely fine. Hasn't changed! I've traced the connection back to the source - there's no switch or plug so I assume I just need to get an electrician to put a switch on or plug? The engineer also took me outside and was pointing so some pipe which I now know is the water pipe! He's a complete cowboy. Don't really know what to do next because I need my boiler serviced and need the meters changed from prepay to direct debit meters. Do I need to stay with BG?
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Get a local guy to service your boiler if you need it done, no you don't have to stay with BG they are an independent co like anyone else.

Electrical isolation should be no more than a metre from the boiler
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure