Confused about BT FTTP

Options
2»

Comments

• StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Openreach have opened up telephone pole access access for FTTP for all suppliers. Is this easier installation going to open up competition?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plusnet also do FTTP although they dont actually advertise it.

My neighbour has FTTP with them, since April this year
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Plusnet also do FTTP although they dont actually advertise it.
    It is only existing Plusnet cutomers who already have ADSL that can upgrade to FTTP if it available to them and at the moment it is only on a trial basis, I have had it with them for five years and still wondering when the trial will end and it will be offered to new customers.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    still wondering when the trial will end and it will be offered to new customers.

Probably when they work out how to make more profitable than their current offerings ;)
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    I think Openreach have opened up telephone pole access access for FTTP for all suppliers. Is this easier installation going to open up competition?

Unlikely that another operator will install FTTP where Openreach have.

Even if they do, most other FTTP installers only offer their service, they don’t have to wholesale it out like Openreach.

The biggest driver for competition on Openreach FTTP is that they simply need to make it more widely available. Perhaps then Sky et al will feel it worthwhile their investment in systems and training upgrades for the potential revenu generated if enough customera take up the service.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2018 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Sarajw70 wrote: »
    Hmmm as I said - I!!!8217;m more concerned about the fact that we are now locked in to a contract with BT for as long as we live in that house - they can raise their prices and there is naff all we can do about it!! And yes they have invested - they also been taking in £ms and £am in BDUK funding and ERDF funding to help with their funding! It!!!8217;s also the fact that it so much more expensive than virgin ?? When they are also Installing fibre to the property?

As already said you are not locked into a BT contract, you could use any ISP that sells access over OR FTTP infrastructure , you could use mobile broadband , you could lobby VM to cable your street.
    I was until very recently paying VM for 70Mb standalone broadband £36/month, the current summer deal for 80Mb BT superfast BB is £40,( a product available on FTTP) ... ok it's more but not by much, and although that price does go up after 18 months, who knows what VM will be charging by then, or if a deal can be done when that term expires.
    It's unfair to compare VM and OR in some respects, the price OR can charge is heavily regulated by Ofcom, and pricing too low is seen by them as anti competitive, as the smaller FTTP alt nets wouldn't be happy if OR FTTP prices were so low that they couldn't make money out of their own networks, by having to match an artificially low OR price.
    VM are a network provider and ISP, and not regulated in any sustantial way by Ofcom, every penny spent by a VM customer on broadband is kept by VM's , whereas OR are the network provider and BT are an ISP, and have to treat each other as separate businesses , it all adds to the cost, which the consumer ultimately pays for
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sarajw70 wrote: »
    Hmmm as I said - I!!!8217;m more concerned about the fact that we are now locked in to a contract with BT for as long as we live in that house - they can raise their prices and there is naff all we can do about it!! And yes they have invested - they also been taking in £ms and £am in BDUK funding and ERDF funding to help with their funding! It!!!8217;s also the fact that it so much more expensive than virgin ?? When they are also Installing fibre to the property?

It's Openreach that have made the investment, you are buying from BT Consumer, they haven't invested in the infrastructure. It's fortunate that BT Consumer do sell FTTP as without a major retailer taking it up there would be no point in Openreach investing in the first place. If the like of TalkTalk and Sky got involved, then maybe the retail price would come down, but they are quite happy to play politics by complaining about lack FTTP whilst refusing to sell it where its available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure