We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Where are all the other birds

Options
We’ve got several feeders in our garden, and until a month or so ago had many different species of bird visit every day.

But now, we only ever really see Goldfinches, any time of the day there’s between 10 and 20 feeding

Just wondered where/why the other birds aren’t around anymore?

Comments

• JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A lot of berries have ripened lately, maybe they're filling up on those?
  • Paula_Smith
    Options
    You will get more bird traffic in spring when they have babies to feed.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Sounds familiar. I’ve had mainly goldfinches all year this year and they’re pretty much all I see at the moment. I had a much greater diversity last year with far higher numbers of bullfinches. I think the goldfinches can be bullies when there are enough of them. I sometimes see tits trying to get at the feeders for a while before giving up. Another point against them is that they’re such messy feeders. Half of the food ends up on the floor when the goldfinches are there.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Plenty of action here. The bluetits rule the roost, but we've also got a lot of sparrows, robins, coaltits, long tailed tits, blackbirds & some other small yellowy things that I've not identiifed yet

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Paula_Smith
    Options
    Plenty of action here. The bluetits rule the roost, but we've also got a lot of sparrows, robins, coaltits, long tailed tits, blackbirds & some other small yellowy things that I've not identiifed yet

Have a look at the RSPB bird identifier
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/identify-a-bird/
  • unrecordings
    Options

They're moving too fast:rotfl:

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I counted 7 magpies in our garden yesterday! I have never seen so many together... I hope that they move on quickly as they seem to chase the little birds away :(
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • unrecordings
    Options
    On the edge of woods here. We have the crow wars - crows here in the upper part, magpies occupying the lower part of the woods. Both will try to dominate open ground, so the little birds need hedges or other cover to hold their own. We've also got buzzards...

• byjimini
    byjimini Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We get a few magpies but all the smaller birds went over the summer - such a shame as we loved leaving food out for them, it definitely felt like they'd left much earlier than normal.
  • joannaber
    Options
    Gone to Africa for the winter?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills