PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• skintmum2012
    Options
    E2006 wrote: »
    When is the voucher due? I always seem to miss these.

From what I hear it's Thursday can anyone confirm this please?
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• just_the_two_of_us
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    Not been tracking my spends for ages! :o
    DD1 is now on a health kick, so we eat mainly chicken fillets (coz she doesn't like bones-neither do her sisters) and lots of fresh veg and fruit.
    I think it's costing a fortune. It would be so much cheaper to buy a whole chicken than boneless chicken breasts all the time!
    Right, rant over.
    £400 for me for march.
    Open to suggestions with the chicken and no bones etc. TIA.

Tattycath - we were the same in our house! But chicken breasts are so expensive now aren't they and don't go far?

Just last week I bought a free range chicken from Mr Al*i cost £4.99. It did the two of us:
    Leg and thigh each and small slice of breast with mash and veggies when still hot on Sat
    Cold slices of breast and chips with petit pois Sun
    DH sandwich lunch Mon
    Then I picked all the remaining meat off (hate doing it! )and made a lovely plate pie with creamy sauce, mushrooms, leeks onions etc - and that did us 2 more meals at a quarter of pie each.
    We find it is easier to eat the boney bits ones we don't like as much when it is freshly cooked.

How many are there of you - as you could dish it out depending on preference for brown or white meat?
    DH did say he prefers to take a leg for his lunch - but I said no that is another meal!!!!! Mean aren't I !!!!
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • twigpig
    twigpig Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Ladyluck1 wrote: »
    Try amazon for nappies, I often get pampers for half the price of supermarket x

I'm on the free Family & Prime trial and noticed the subscribe and save can work out quite a bit cheaper. Can I order at the subscribe and save price and then just cancel the subscription - do I need to wait til after delivery to cancel it? Any help on how to get the best out of this would be much appreciated as still have a month of my free trial left.... :)
    TTC #3..........
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    Morning all.
    I completely messed up my feb budget so I'm going to start fresh in march (from 1st) Going to stick with the £600 until I know what we actually spend on groceries and what goes on rubbish/pets/diesel etc..
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • dylan2011
    Options
    I dont think your prying at all if I wanted to keep things private I would not post on here in the first place so feel free to comment give advise anything that helps bring things down.
    My little boy is my 3rd baby the other 2where breast fed so I did not have a clue where to begin when my little boy could not breast feed due to tounge tie and other health issues. I was really worried I would get making the bottles wrong some how and hurt him. So what I do is buy 1 pot of formula for 10 pound a week and 10 instant bottles a week for when we are out at a cost of 71 pound a month this month I also got 12 packs of baby wipes and 3 boxes of pampers nappys boots where buy 2 get one free. I know aldi nappies are good I dont really know what's wrong with me this time my other 2 have always had cheap good nappys and clothes from charity shops and carboots. This time my son must have what I think of As the best nappies and everything new even buying anything new from shops I have to take it home and wash it first as I am scared of germs. My excuse is we almost lost my son when he was 6 weeks old and it destroyed me.
    Bless you hun, I hope your son is doing much better now. No need to make excuses hun, its great to spoil baby a bit as well as making yourself feel better as well hun. If it makes you feel more comfortable using the formula bottles then it is worth it because a happy non stressed mum is the best thing for a baby. x I never used them simply because I usually only go out locally anyway so am never away from a kettle etc. for too long so only needed the bottles to last an hour or so anyway. But if I was out and about for a whole day then they are great for convenience. Washing clothes is good for bubba anyway and is what is recommended now not because of germs but because the chemicals that manufacturers use to keep the clothes looking new in the shops. x
    Mum of 2 monkey. 4 yrs and 2 yrs :j
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • just_the_two_of_us
    Options
    Hi - Thanks for the new thread - please put me down for £200 for March. Not sure we'll manage it because not much left in the fridge or the freezer!!!

I do not seem to need much in the way of stock cupboard stuff however - so this might be the month to start stocking up on offers. I don't have the time or motivation to do the second purse challenge - will just get things I use when on offer.

Have a good month everyone. xx
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    Today is payday which means I have withdrawn and stashed the pet supplies and makro/bulk buys kitty monies.

Have withdrawn the toiletries kitty but am taking that out with us as i need a couple of bits.

Whilst in town picking up bf's prescription I had a quick scoot around the market and bought 1lb sweet cherries for £1.50, the called in to the frozen foods shop as I saw a couple of offers in the window on things we eat/use a lot - got two bags of scampi for £1.50 and two tins of Heinz minestrone soup for £1.50 and 3 bottles of robinsons double concentrate for £1(bf takes squash to camp for his bottle he keeps on his day chair, each of these should last two camps minimum) so £5.50 added to signature.

Ran out of time for our supermarket trip before we head out today so we will go later in the week as nothing is urgent :-)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • cllola
    cllola Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

Can i please join for this month? I have done the challenge a few times but fall out of the habit of posting on here but it really helps with the motivation. Please put me down for £200. This is for 2 adults, 1 x 4 year old and 2 x 3 year olds (weekends only though for the 3 year olds). Also we have a baby due in May so i'm hoping there is some left over to buy a box of nappies to start stocking up.

I too buy all baby stuff on amazon as free delivery (family member) and is a lot cheaper. Also good for cleaning stuff and bulk buying toilet roll etc if you have somewhere to store it!

As for grocery shopping i tend to do an online grocery shop at the end of each month to fill the cupboards and freezer (around £150 or less) and the rest of the budget goes on fresh food top up shops throughout the month. I find if i do weekly shops in an actual shop then i always overspend plus i just dont really have the time! :rotfl:

any luxeries such as alchohol (DH) and extra chocolate (me) comes out of our personal spending money.
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you for the new thread Zippy and everybody who runs the thread.

I'm going to eat low-carb this month so my budget's going up a bit (please don't throw me off!). Can you put me down for £375 please.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,880 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Budgets updated to here :)

Welcome to:
    mummytojack, cinnamonpie, Zippy001, recovering spendaholic, charlieyates, and cllola :D

Good luck everyone
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure