PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    not the NSD that i planned nipped sains local, got a mag some froz carrots as no fresh ones:mad:, some soya milk that has gone up alarmingly it was £1.35 at the weekend its £1.44 now:mad::mad: fresh mushrooms as DD is doing a mushroom tagletelli to use up some fresh she has in the fridge and a couple of rolls of redused wrapping paper so total spend £10.06

realised when i got home i hadnt brought the rolls for tomorrow pack up but wasnt going back so im attempting some in the bread maker as i 'speak'

christmas pudding loaf is in the oven and veggie shepherds pie is just waiting for the topping to be mashed. ive boiled some swede with the spuds as i had 1/2 to use up. will do wedges with it
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • zebredy
    zebredy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Just working on finalising shopping list for friday/weekend when hubby gets paid, am I the only one who feels they spend so much during the month (on bills etc) that I end up doing most the food shopping just after pay day, cause I worry I might not have the money later in the month to be able to get all that I want?

Don't think I could wait more then a few days after my OH gets paid to go food shopping, what with me being stuck indoors most the time due to only working a few days every month or two I love every opportunity I get to go out, even if its to the local sm.

Don't know how some of you manage online shopping. Would love to do it as some shops do great deals for first time shoppers, but I would miss going out, and also getting to choose my own fruit and veg, and seeing what might be on offer in the bargain corner..
    Matthew, Izzy, Suzie, Harry, Darwin. My husband my cats, the main things that matter in my life...
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    Just completed an order online for asda. totals at £30ish but will update when it arrives in my house. Planned meals for the next 2 weeks so hopefully we shall stick to this month's buget (well we have no money so have no choice!!)

Zebredy - i have no access to shops atm as no car and our local supermarket is waitrose!! so have no choice but to shop online :(
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    salski wrote: »
    So ideas on a huge fillet of smoked haddock please....
    Thanks in advance
    Sal x

How about smoked haddock and watercress tart. Use either a ready made tart case or make one yourself, poach the fish in some milk (about 10 fl oz) then flake into large chunks but save the liquid, fry a chopped onion in some butter then add some flour, cook this out for 2-3 mins and then stir in the reserved liquid. Season well and I also add a 1/4tsp of mustard then add two beaten eggs, whisk all together and stir over heat until it thickens. Put the watercress (suppose you could also use spinach but not tried this) in the flan case with the fish and add the egg/milk mixture, sprinkle with some grated cheese and bake for about 25-30 mins. Can be eaten hot or cold. I usually have this with a rocket and tomato salad and some spicy tomato chutney.

Still not spent any money yet this year on the G/C so feeling rather pleased. :j Have to take Mum shopping tomorrow so will probably get a few things. Hope to spend as little as possible. :)
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • zebredy
    zebredy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    bramble1 wrote: »
    Just completed an order online for asda. totals at £30ish but will update when it arrives in my house. Planned meals for the next 2 weeks so hopefully we shall stick to this month's buget (well we have no money so have no choice!!)

Zebredy - i have no access to shops atm as no car and our local supermarket is waitrose!! so have no choice but to shop online :(

Ah well that makes good sense..

My shopping list sucks at the mo, keep thinking I'm gona forget something like usual, I don't know how people can just walk in get what's on there list then walk out (job done) I think a way round this for me, is going to be to take an extra few quid (like emergency fund) and if I think of something I forgot (not just an impulse buy) I'll take it out of that, £5 should be enough for this, hopefully I won't need it though, but then again, knowing me :(
    Matthew, Izzy, Suzie, Harry, Darwin. My husband my cats, the main things that matter in my life...
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zebredy wrote: »
    Don't know how some of you manage online shopping. Would love to do it as some shops do great deals for first time shoppers, but I would miss going out, and also getting to choose my own fruit and veg, and seeing what might be on offer in the bargain corner..
    bramble1 wrote: »

:rotfl:funny isnt it - I dont have online grocery shopping in my area but think I would love it!!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    kippers wrote: »
    I do really well when i put my mind to this challenge....but it's when the novelty wears off for me and i get sloppy so i must must keep going.

That's often the same here, kippers :o

By the end of February, beginning of March, I get complacent and the grocery budget often goes out the window.

I really need to keep with it this year as we are planning a big holiday in 2012 now, and every penny counts :D
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    elf06 wrote: »
    :rotfl:funny isnt it - I dont have online grocery shopping in my area but think I would love it!!

I LOVE my online shopping! It means I don't get distracted in the shop! Also means no going out when it's freezing!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    Options
    wssla00 wrote: »
    I LOVE my online shopping! It means I don't get distracted in the shop! Also means no going out when it's freezing!

Thats exactly why I think I would like it plus the added bonus of not having to battle through the crowds!! There are times I wish I lived a little closer to civilisation.

Havent spent much more since last update but sig is now up-to-date
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Tibbie's_mum Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2011 at 7:26PM
    Options
    Had to make an emergency dash to Mr T, for some essential toiletries. I only bought what was on my list, so I'll have to add another £13.50 to my total. I did buy £5 worth of Christmas stuff, but that doesn't come off my grocery budget and it's all in the saving money cause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure