Water Supply Pipe leak repair issues

Options
A water meter was installed last year at my property. Affinity water allowed me to continue paying fixed bills for the next 2 years after the installation (which I did). Recently, I received a letter from Affinity water that I’m using water as equivalent to a nine person plus household which suggests that I might have a leak. I contacted them and they sent someone to investigate. They turned up and asked me to close the stop valve in the house which I did. They were standing by the water meter (which is located on a public footpath in front of the house). After a few minutes they said that there was a leak in the supply pipe between the water meter and the stop valve in my property as the water meter continued turning.
I have seen leaks in the past and have always thought that if there was a leak in a underground pipe it would immediately show up on the surface. I would expect if there was leak that my front garden would be full of water as at some point the soil would saturate and the water would inevitably come to the surface. They dismissed the above argument and said that as the leak must be inside the boundaries of my property, I should sort it out and pay for the repair.
I have a few questions which hopefully someone may be able to help:
1. If there was a leak wouldn’t the water escape to the surface and turn the front garden into a swamp?
2. As the front garden is completely dry and the water pressure is good could it be possible that the water meter is faulty and just turns even if no water is passing through it?
3. I have Homeserve Plumbing and Drainage Plus with excess plan, would they cover the cost of the supply pipe repair or replacement?
4. If unsuccessfully try to get this sorted using Homeserve or the Home insurance should I use the approved drainage plumbers on the Affinity Water website or should I use a local company which will be cheaper?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    3. I have Homeserve Plumbing and Drainage Plus with excess plan, would they cover the cost of the supply pipe repair or replacement?

Isn't finding leaks in a pipe, and their repair, the whole purpose of that insurance?
  • Marania
    Marania Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope it is, I'm yet to phone them.
    I was under the impression that Homeserve cover only emergencies, and wasn't sure that a leaking pipe would qualify as such?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 June 2019 at 1:26PM
    Options
    You need to check your insurance documents to see what they cover but I'm guessing that Homeserve should cover it - otherwise there's not much point in paying for it. Get onto them ASAP

We had a leak several years ago which did not manifest itself as a swampy or waterlogged garden - only by a dramatic increase in our water consumption. Fortunately I read my water meter every month so I noticed it after only a month rather than 12 months when the meter gets read by the water co. We lost around 40cu.m in one month, but over a year that would have been 480cu.m, which could have caused a lot of damage. It made me a bit paranoid for a couple of months but now it just gets it's monthly read - same as the leccy meters.

Anglian Water came out,and served me with a notice to get it fixed within 28 days (or dire consequences) which I did under my household insurance. AW did credit me with the amount of lost water (based on readings after I'd had the repair done)

A leak can undermine the drive or even house foundations rather than showing on the surface which then shows up as subsidence or a sink hole (I know two people this has happened to and the remedy was very very expensive, so get it sorted out).
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Marania
    Marania Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    We had a leak several years ago which did not manifest itself as a swampy or waterlogged garden - only by a dramatic increase in our water consumption.

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess in my case the water just permeates into the ground as there's absolutely no sign in the front garden of any leak.
    I
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Before you do anything i would get them to check the water meter box as it may be leaking, could be there equipment that's at fault.

Water meters are quite simple devices,just plastic impellers inside, they wont turn unless water going through them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure