London for few days/hotels?

Options
Hello there...

In three months time, two of us are going down to London for three nights stay. We were going to book into the Premiere Inn at London Tower Bridge at a cost of £112 a night (3 star). Should we book that, or do any of you know sites where we can achieve more for our money?

Thank you

amanda :)

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That’s not a bad price for a central location.
    Is price imperative? Or are you just looking for value?

Easy hotels are cheap but very basic.
    Days inn sometimes do offers.

Trivago is a good site.
    Beware distance though. It can take time to get around London so do bear in mind the transport. Generally everything is priced with that in mind so if you see anywhere that looks really good then check it’s not away from tube and bus routes.

You could also try air b&b.
  • independant
    Options
    Thank you - yes, it's a good price - I was just wondering, considering it's London, if it would be worth holding back and booking last minute Thanks for the Air B&B suggestion - I was trying to recall the name of that site. I think we'll probably be best to go for this deal - it's very central and know what to expect with them. Going on sleeper train on way down and back and it's more a case of location that will be important - especially as one day will be in heels!
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't risk last minute as the cheaper hotels may get sold out, especially as it seems to be around the Easter holidays.

Premier Inn sounds like a good option, however it's a 15 minute walk to the nearest tube station, but it's near Borough market and a few of the main sites. It really depends what you want to do in London. It's a good location for anything near the river, it's a bit further away for Buckingham Palace/West End.etc

Kings Cross Premier Inn is also a good option as it's near the tube station and fairly central. It all depends on what you want to see and your budget!
  • sm1971
    sm1971 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We always stay at the Star Inn at Hammersmith - basic but lovely, 15 min walk to three different tube station and best price via their own website.
  • SadieO
    SadieO Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We've stayed at the Covent Garden travelodge a few times. Can't beat it for location. Lots of stuff in easy walking distance and minutes to the tube.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's your arrival point into the city?

I always favour a hotel near my arrival rail station, so I can tumble out of train into hotel, and not have to schlep luggage across town. On departure day, I can tumble out of hotel onto train, again not having to carry luggage very far.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    What's your arrival point into the city?

I always favour a hotel near my arrival rail station, so I can tumble out of train into hotel, and not have to schlep luggage across town. On departure day, I can tumble out of hotel onto train, again not having to carry luggage very far.
    This ^^^^^^^^
    London Transport's good but not for people with skiploads of luggage.

Apart from the national chains, if you do find another hotel be prepared for the rooms to be smaller than in the rest of the UK.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • HGF
    HGF Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We got Premier Inn Kings Cross (Euston and Kings X within a block of each other) for £89 a night plus breakfast for April 2020.
  • joebob
    joebob Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    we always stay in premier inn hubs cheaper than normal premier inns, smaller compact rooms good locations at kings cross covent garden westminster and others. would not stay anywhere else now.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,831 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    googler wrote: »

I think it depends on what you're planning to do and how long you're staying.

Some of the main stations, especially if you are coming in from the north or west (Paddington/Euston/Kings Cross, aren't very central. But they all have taxi ranks with a regular supply of taxis.

When we go we like to stay at least four-five nights, and prefer somewhere central to the main tourist sites, theatres, cafes, food shops etc. That way we may end up paying 2 X £10 for a taxi at the start and end of the trip, but more than make up the cost in the fact that we can walk for the rest of the time and save on food costs too. And we can make best use of the part of the days we arrive and leave as we're right in the thick of it.

Like SadieO we've stayed at the Covent Garden Travelodge and found it a very good location - and loads of black cabs available to flag down to get back to the station at the end of the trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure