Smartphone in USA?

Options

Comments

• keiran73
    keiran73 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    As above I use a three sim in the USA and buy a £10 bolt on which lasts 30days and gives more than enough calls,text and data for me.

Of course you will need to get a usable phone first, a cheap second hand one would do, making sure it is compatible or treat yourself to a new phone

What is the 3 £10 bolt on? I tried to get a bolt on from 3 but they said they don't do them?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    keiran73 wrote: »
    What is the 3 £10 bolt on? I tried to get a bolt on from 3 but they said they don't do them?
    If yo are new to three and want a one month rolling sim plan only then the cheapest looks like £18. There are cheaper plans but they don't include the 'feel at home' benefit.

Go through topcashback or quidco it may work out cheaper.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    If yo are new to three and want a one month rolling sim plan only then the cheapest looks like £18. There are cheaper plans but they don't include the 'feel at home' benefit.

Go through topcashback or quidco it may work out cheaper.

Are you saying new customers cant get the £10 feel at home 30 day bolt on?

If so I wont recomend it anymore, I often post that its the best deal when going to the USa

I dont have a contract, I use a sim that I got from 3 quite a few years ago
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    keiran73 wrote: »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-SIM-Card-Incuding-15-Credit-Preloaded-5GB-data-3k-texts-3k-minutes-/221214272364

Ask them to activate it in the UK before sending it out.
  • EveryWhere
    Options

If so I wont recomend it anymore, I often post that its the best deal when going to the USa

Prepaid SIMs aren't affected. He's probably referring to Essential contracts.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    If you only need data in so that you'll be contactable, this will do; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-1GB-SIM-Card-Standard-Micro-Nano-Multi-SIM-For-all-3G-and-4G-Devices-/322189055700

Make sure they activate it by putting it into a device in the UK before sending it out.
  • stevie11
    edited 18 April 2018 at 5:27PM
    Options

Photome, I checked out the three website to check before I posted the £18 deal earlier, I didn't see anything about bolt ons, not saying they don't exist though.:)

I have a 3 contract anyway but I purchased a 30 day rolling sim for my Son to go travelling last year and I am sure there were some slightly cheaper back then but he wanted enough data for his travels so it was about £18 although there was topcashback discount.

I know three changed their sim plans a year or so ago from some having the 'feel at home' whilst others don't.

Still £18 is a good deal if you want to keep in touch with fellow travellers or back home.
  • stevie11
    Options
    Photome, to clarify, I have checked the three web site and you and others are correct regarding the top-up on payg so you can get a £10 top-up and use abroad, that is a good deal. http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Top_Up#phone_addons

Apologies for confusion.
  • foreverdieting
    Options
    When I was in Florida last May I got a really good deal with a new 'phone and more than enough data for one month for $99. I think it was from the Three Mobile shop. I then used this 'phone to tether my own mobile to and it worked really well. I think it was Samsung, and it works fine back here. I was able to unlock it with my on-line account after I had the 'phone for 3 months. We now use it as a spare family mobile and it's been really useful, well worth the money.

You might be able to research on-line before you go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure