Should I be concerned with searches on my file?

Options
Hi

Couple of strange searches on my file in recent months that have me questioning whether there are attempts to take out loans on my name.

I get monthly reports from Clearscore and Noddle and keep an eye on my history - long story short but I am 2 payments away from clearing my DMP with Stepchange and so keep a close eye now on finances.

However, in amongst the usual search records for insurance etc, there are these entries:

Oakbrook Finance Ltd for Other searched on 26 June 2018

Shawbrook Bank Limited Search for Other on 8 August 2018

Livelend Searched February, June, August

Everyday Loans(XML) 18 September 2017

These all appear to be loan companies and I have not made any applications for loans for years.

I did wonder whether this was related to the last debtor on my DMP passing their debt onto Intuit but the recent upsurge in activity has me concerned.

Could there be a legitimate reason for these searches to be shown against my account or is there some form of ID theft being attempted?

Should I take any action to stop or sort this?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    Have you been asking for quotations for insurance, that sort of thing, on price comparison websites?

I've got lots of those searches on my file too...all associated with me asking for quotes and price comparisons...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    These sounds like soft searches - usually they pop up from using comparison sites for insurance quotes, etc. They also often appear is you use any of the free CRA reports such as MSE Credit Club, Clearscore or Noddle as they make some money by referring customers using their "eligibility calculators". Nothing to be worried about really.

Have a check though to confirm they are "soft" searches (sometimes called quotation searches). If they are "hard" searches on the other hand they will affect your credit history, so it would be worth following up on these and get them removed if they were unauthorised.
  • niallmitch
    Options
    No, there are searches recorded for Hastings back in February and Admiral back in October but that's all I've asked for. One car family and house insurance isn't due until November.
  • niallmitch
    Options
    These sounds like soft searches - usually they pop up from using comparison sites for insurance quotes, etc. They also often appear is you use any of the free CRA reports such as MSE Credit Club, Clearscore or Noddle as they make some money by referring customers using their "eligibility calculators". Nothing to be worried about really.

Have a check though to confirm they are "soft" searches (sometimes called quotation searches). If they are "hard" searches on the other hand they will affect your credit history, so it would be worth following up on these and get them removed if they were unauthorised.

They are under "Quotation and Personal searches" on the Clearscore report so that's ok then. Just seemed weird that loan companies were doing these searches on my

thanks for the reassurance
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    niallmitch wrote: »
    They are under "Quotation and Personal searches" on the Clearscore report so that's ok then. Just seemed weird that loan companies were doing these searches on my

thanks for the reassurance

Some companies retain consent to perform quotation searches in the future, allowing them to match you with their products, pre-approve where possible and otherwise increase their consumer output. This is nothing to concern about, as soft searches are not used for a credit application. Even lenders who perform an initial soft search application are legally required to register a full search upon decision making, so unless there are hard searches to match those companies, it would be highly unlikely that someone has been using your details.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Sweetteamum
    Options
    I have just found out I have the same issue. However, mine are with EE, Tesco Mobile & Vodafone, so I can only assume somebody has been trying to take out mobile phone contracts in my name.

I have no idea how to remove them for my credit file, if anyone could point me in the right direction?

OP, so sorry for jumping onto your thread, but I didn't want to start a new one when it related to yours.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    Options
    If you have the same issue, then no one is trying to take out contracts in your name.
  • Sweetteamum
    Options
    If you have the same issue, then no one is trying to take out contracts in your name.

Sorry, I'm confused. There are searches on my credit report. That's what the thread is about.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    Options
    The thread is about soft searches. They are not applications for credit or phones.
  • Sweetteamum
    Options
    The poster didn't know that when they posted. The information has come about through the replies.

However, there's no need to be rude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport