Any PAYG data SIMs with credit that doesn't expire?

Options
I'm looking for a 4G data SIM to use with a portable wifi unit, for those (many) occasions when my home broadband goes down. Ideally I'd like to buy a few GB of credit, and have that credit always available to be used - i.e. it will not expire after 30 days.
Can anyone recommend a provider for this?

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2018 at 4:54PM
    Options
    PAYG bundles expire after 30 days, non bundle PAYG from 84 to 180 days if a no chargeable event is made depending on network or MVNO. 3 do a data SIM with 200MB per month free and 1p per MB after, EE used to do similar SIM but with 100MB free not sure of the extra MB charge otherwise or if it's still available. I use one in a 3G dongle in my VDSL router as a temporary backup. 3 also do data SIM's prepaid which last up to 24 months depending on data capacity, usage and cost.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    3 do data sims (Broadband PAYG) that have 12 month and 24 month expiry periods. (12GB and 24 GB of data respectively). http://store.three.co.uk/pricePlans [£60 for 2 years may give the peace of mind you need?]

They can be had even cheaper sometimes from well known internet retailers.

Never top them up as the rate is extortionate compared to buying another and chucking the old.

NB they can fit USB dongles (as well as mifi units) which could be 'fallen over to' on many broadband routers; but you may not get an alert your main line has broken?
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    3 do data sims (Broadband PAYG) that have 12 month and 24 month expiry periods. (12GB and 24 GB of data respectively). http://store.three.co.uk/pricePlans [£60 for 2 years may give the peace of mind you need?]

They can be had even cheaper sometimes from well known internet retailers.

Never top them up as the rate is extortionate compared to buying another and chucking the old.

NB they can fit USB dongles (as well as mifi units) which could be 'fallen over to' on many broadband routers; but you may not get an alert your main line has broken?

Thanks for that. Which "well known internet retailers" did you have in mind?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I normally buy mine from mymemory
  • itm2
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    I normally buy mine from mymemory

Thanks for that - I had no idea that MyMemory also did SIM cards. They have the 12GB/12 month SIM for £27.99, which compares favourably with the £40 price on the Three website!
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2018 at 8:44PM
    Options
    Vodafone has a SIM which only charges you on days that you use it. Max daily charge is only £1, which gets you 500MB. A bonus is that you also get unlimited minutes and texts on those days.If you need more data than that on the day, just use 2 SIMs; £2 per GB is cheaper than the annual SIM, plus you're unlikely to have as many wasted GBs at the end of the year that you have paid for. .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Vodafone has a SIM which only charges you on days that you use it. Max daily charge is only £1, which gets you 500MB. A bonus is that you also get unlimited minutes and texts on those days.If you need more data than that on the day, just use 2 SIMs; £2 per GB is cheaper than the annual SIM, plus you're unlikely to have as many wasted GBs at the end of the year that you have paid for. .
    https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/pay-as-you-go-plans/payg-1
  • itm2
    Options
    Thanks - that's a really interesting plan, and better value data than the 12GB annual Three plan. As the SIM is free I'll order one right away as I have nothing to lose. Any idea how long the SIM would remain active if it isn't topped up? (it's not in the FAQ's on the Vodafone site)
  • itm2
    Options
    One other question that the Vodafone site doesn't clarify - if I wanted to use 2GB of data in a day could I simply top up £4, or so I need to buy the £10 add-on (i.e. £2GB valid for 30 days)?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    itm2 wrote: »
    One other question that the Vodafone site doesn't clarify - if I wanted to use 2GB of data in a day could I simply top up £4, or so I need to buy the £10 add-on (i.e. £2GB valid for 30 days)?
    https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/mobile/pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go1/

See clauses 6 and 7.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport