Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

specs to donate

Options
HI, I HAVE 4 OR 5 PAirs of spectacles in very good condition,
i would like to donate them, can anyone tell me where to take them
where they will benefit the most.
thanks, hope someone can help. Ray,s

Comments

• Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ray,

I have a feeling that either the round table or rotary club collect these.
    Or perhaps try oxfam because they did have a bin a few months ago in our local shop to collect old specs.
  • Josie_Jump_3
    Josie_Jump_3 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    try... http://www.vao.org.uk/

Vision Aid overseas,
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your local Help The Aged shop will acept them just hand them in at the till.

Thanks

James
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Donate Your Unwanted Glasses at D&A The Opticians

For more information about Help the Aged World in Sight project visit www.helptheaged.org.uk/recycling or contact the Help the Aged Recycling Hotline on 0870 770 0446
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • raymond_42
    raymond_42 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    THanks everyone,i will take em saturday.
    thanks again Ray
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I take mine to my local Specsavers, who pass them on to The local Lions club, who then send them to Africa where they are matched up with people. Enquire in yours to see if they do something similar.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• miss_angie1
    Options
    I have come across the site https://www.uniteforsight.org from a Friends of the Earth newsletter I have recently received about donating your old specs. I will be donating three of my old pairs of glasses and have told friends and family members who are also digging out a few old pairs.

Further info below (a snippet from the website)

Your eyeglasses (reading and distance) as well as non-prescription sunglasses will be distributed to children and adults in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Reading glasses and sunglasses are especially needed!
    Donate to Unite For Sight
    Importance Of Your Eyeglass Donation

* Over 1 billion people in developing countries need eyeglasses but cannot afford them.
    * Over 4 million pairs of eyeglasses are thrown away each year in North America.
    * 25% of the global population needs eyeglasses.
    * 50% of children in institutions for the blind in Africa would be able to read normal or large print if they had eyeglasses
    * The price for glasses in Benin and other African countries can exceed three months' average salary
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
  • cats_whiskers
    Options
    Hi miss angie1

I have been meaning to do something with my old glasses for some time but did not want to just throw them out. Many Thanks for the link. :beer: I may see if I can round up a few more pairs from friends and relatives first.
  • PurpleDuck
    Options
    Great idea but there must be someone who does something the same in this country. I'm not posting them to the States!
  • PurpleDuck
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family