paypal limitation

Options
please help. paypal have limited my account and not allowing me to withdraw any of balance as my son has his own personal account with them and owes them money - a lot less than what they are holding of mine. can they do this ? I don't own them anything.
many thanks, all help greatly appreciated and apologies if in wrong 'thing' new to this and only just joined form,

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paypal limit any linked account when there are issues. How much does your son owe them?
  • les0863
    les0863 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2017 at 4:17PM
    Options
    approx. £1200. I don't understand how they can hold MY money for somebody elses debt ?!
    they are only linked in so much that same address - I've not guaranteed his account
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    les0863 wrote: »
    approx. £1200. I don't understand how they can hold MY money for somebody elses debt ?!

Paypal routinely link accounts as they assume (often wrongly) that when someone has an issue they merely open another account in a relatives name and use that instead. Unfortunately it means that your account is basically being held hostage pending your son sorting his debt out.

The simplest way to deal with this is for your son to clear his debt and for you to then phone paypal and demand your balance be released. You may find that your account will be closed if paypal deem it unsafe to continue but if you can get your funds released you can get the rest sorted out later.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above.

Do you know the situation your son got into a negative balance? It may be something people here can help resolve. Without resolving his negative balance you won't get your funds for a long time (180 days) if at all.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Good on PayPal, I like this approach.

This means that you will also be putting on pressure for your son to settle his debts.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    they are only linked in so much that same address - I've not guaranteed his account

They can do it because they are PayPal, and that's what PayPal does.

If you threaten them with legal action to recover your money, and carry through that threat, then you will almost certainly get your money back. But you may find your account closed permanently.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • les0863
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2017 at 8:20PM
    Options
    powerful - don't make assumptions til you know the full facts. to assume makes an !!!.....etc.
  • les0863
    First Anniversary
    Options
    its been over 180 days. my sons negative balance - which he doesn't have funds to clear, was due to him being scammed and paypal and ebay refusing to accept the dispute - I realise this sounds lame, but he was professionally scammed and naïve. bottom line, he doesn't have funds
  • les0863
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2017 at 8:26PM
    Options
    surely they have to abide by UK banking regs and laws ? if so - they cant do it.
    plus my account was opened long before his was
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    powerful - don't make assumptions til you know the full facts. to assume makes an !!!.....etc.
    So you post that he was scammed out of the money many posts below your original post - Why not post this in your original post?

Paypal is not a bank so not regulated like them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure