Policeman rear ended me at a junction and wrote off my car

Options

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    Yes but one thing is for sure, if it was the other way around the officer would have already been on to the special department within the force that looks after such compensation claims.

An ex-officer friend of mine recounted a tale when hit from behind in slow moving traffic his colleague immediately said "thats the new kitchen paid for" - and it was!

Like !!!! would they, they'd be onto someone who knows what they're doing with it.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They have covered the cost of the car. I haven't claimed for anything else even though I had bad whiplash for a week and it's still persisting 3 weeks later.

I think the one that wrote off my car might have been over the limit. Is there anything I can do now? Did they follow prodecure by not breathalusing us?

It must have been some time ago?

Contact 'Independent Police Complaints Commission'.

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    It must have been some time ago?

Contact 'Independent Police Complaints Commission'.

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/

What do you suggest she complains about?
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It depends why the police arrived.

It's standard protocol for police to breathalyse all involved when attending, but that's usually for injuries or road blockages.

It sounds like this person was coming as part of the accident claim. Just fyi, as far as I'm aware you were free to leave whenever you wanted, just needed to pass on your insurance details etc.

I didn't notice that the first time I read your post, I'm guessing you didn't read the title.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    Options
    What do you suggest she complains about?

Just being helpful, isnt that why we are here, she will have more info.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    Yes but one thing is for sure, if it was the other way around the officer would have already been on to the special department within the force that looks after such compensation claims.

An ex-officer friend of mine recounted a tale when hit from behind in slow moving traffic his colleague immediately said "thats the new kitchen paid for" - and it was!

Doesn't surprise me I have been rear ended, on stop queuing at a roundabout, surprised the car was not wrote off due to the boot. Anyway nothing wrong with me or my Mum (passenger), people told us to claim, why? There was nothing wrong us and it's why I don't believe most of these so called whiplash claims.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Just being helpful, isnt that why we are here, she will have more info.

We'll be helpful and tell her what to complain about then.

She can get a copy of the accident report if she requests it and pays the fee.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This reminds me of a (marked) police car that signalled left then instead of turning left did an instant U-turn in the middle of Old Windsor high St. one fine rush-hour morning. Luckily as the driver behind them I'd backed off from this car as I felt 'dubious' about it already. Anyone with a car-cam would've captured a lovely Youtube video!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me I have been rear ended, on stop queuing at a roundabout, surprised the car was not wrote off due to the boot. Anyway nothing wrong with me or my Mum (passenger), people told us to claim, why? There was nothing wrong us and it's why I don't believe most of these so called whiplash claims.

You were lucky.

My husband is still in terrible neck pain years after a bus hit him from behind when he was stopped at traffic lights.

He is having physio again for it.

He did get compensation at the time but he would gladly not have it and be pain free.

Our daughter was also recently in an accident with her boyfriend, when they were hit from behind and they are both suffering, him with his neck, he was looking to the right, and her with her back. They are both having physio. I only hope they do not have problems like her dad.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    kaya wrote: »
    you were lucky, a friend was rear ended by an unmarked police car when she changed lanes the police were doing over 100mph with no lights and sirens on, she had 3 kids in the car and all went to hospital her nose was broken and the police car was "spirited" away immediately afterwards, no one was breathalysed and the police refused to name the person driving at the time. She went to court for damages and the police lied through their back teeth about the circumstances of the accident and even tried to accuse her of careless driving!! biggest gang in the country that lot and if I were you I would be grateful they aren't trying to say you reversed into them !!!
    None of that surprises me, but MSE is very pro police so don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure