Notification not a claim

Options
On the 3rd Aug 2017 a pedestrian stepped out in front of my car. Luckily, I was only doing 30 miles an hour. He was in a hurry and very apologetic and brushed himself down and wanted to walk away.

However, I had heard of this sort of thing happening and remembered that it needed to be reported regardless of whether he was hurt or not so insisted he waited until the police arrived.

I called the police and they arrived and took all the details. The pedestrian insisted it was his own fault as he wasn’t looking properly.

The police gave me an incident number and said not to worry they had all the notes and if anything came of it, they would have records to his admission of guilt.

As soon as I got home, I notified my insurer Hasting Direct. There has been no claim from either side since and this has been admitted by the Hastings. However, Hasting Direct has put this down as a fault on my part and refuse to put it as just a notification, it is now making a big difference on renewal and adding a fair bit extra to the policies? Surely this cannot be correct.

Comments

• keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Insurance is all about statistics and as you have a notified "incident" you are now considered to be a higher risk and as such your insurance will rise.
  • kmb1957
    Options
    nothing i can do then?
    perhaps i should have just let him run off, and I should have broken the law and not reported it!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kmb1957 wrote: »
    nothing i can do then?
    perhaps i should have just let him run off, and I should have broken the law and not reported it!

If you didn't report it and the pedestrian made a claim against you at a later date, it would be far worse and potentially they could refuse to cover your claim.

Your choice to do what you want
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Knight3333
    Options
    Usually when notified an insurer will keep a claim open and recorded as a fault in case the third party comes back and makes a claim. But after a while they will then close the claim and record it as a notification only.

Speak to the insurance company which is usually Advantage as Hastings is only a broker. They should be able to direct you best what there policy is on notification only incidents.

On a side note, it's always best you do report an incident to your insurer as if not then it could lead to policy cancellation and if a claim is made, them washing their hands of it.
  • Elika0215
    Elika0215 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nothing i can do then?

I'll say it what everyone seems to have overlooked in their responses. - What Hastings are doing is outrageous!

You've absolutely done the right thing by reporting it but I totally get why you said you shouldn't have.

It's completely unethical of them and my own experiences of insurers is similarly distressing.

Hope it works out for you. I don't know if putting something in writing will help but it's worth considering (note, do check if they charge you for reading a letter first! :mad:)
  • AleksanderLon
    Options
    Report it to the Client Rights Ombudsman. If it's not your fault and you have a note from the police, I do not see a problem. I would fight to the end
  • kmb1957
    Options
    Many thanks all for your replies, there is good new! We had a phone call from Admiral Customer claims on Monday a couple of days after a very heated phone call to them. They were very apologetic and promised to write to the CUE and change the notification of the incident to non- fault circumstances due to the fact that nobody has claimed.
    They also offered £40 goodwill gesture and could understand our frustration. Off course it is not about the money but the injustice. Hopefully in the next week when we compare insurance again the fault will have been rectified.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought you were insured with Hastings?
  • kmb1957
    Options
    just to put the record straight it was Hastings sorry Admiral my mistake.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hopefully in the next week when we compare insurance again the fault will have been rectified.
    Were the new quotes affected by the notification?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure